Display issue on PAL VIC-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Display issue on PAL VIC-20

Post by siccoyote »

Since I've been playing ab out with my vic-20 I have noticed that sometimes graphics can be difficult to see

I always thought this was just the way the hardware was, but just checking since the vice emulator doesn't replicate it.

Should some colours look like this?

or is there an issue with my vic chip?

Vice shows the same screen as this:

Also occurs with Cyan and Bright Green
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Display issue on PAL VIC-20

Post by akator »

What kind of display are you using?

I've seen this same thing on many modern digital displays that upscale the analog video to higher resolutions. The built-in TV upscalers do a lot of dithering in the conversion. In my experience this dithering isn't in the source video but artifacts from the cheap converters built into TVS.

My solutions for multiple classic computers and game consoles:
  1. Use S-Video. Most of the time this requires modifications to the original hardware. I personally average one video mod per system per year. It has taken me years for me to add S-Video to the several different systems I use on more regular basis.
  2. Use a better third party upscaler/converter. The best are hundreds of dollars. I'm unwilling to pay that and instead use a $40 S-Video-to-HDMI converter. This converter isn't perfect but still does a much better job than the converter in the TV.
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

akator wrote:What kind of display are you using?

I've seen this same thing on many modern digital displays that upscale the analog video to higher resolutions.
What kind of lame ass noob do you take me for? :D

Thanks for the response but I think the answer is inside the vic-20 purely because it is limited to Red, Green, Cyan & Violet.

I thought about trying the RF but then realised it doesn't have one.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

You need to make the s-video mod. This known issue is due to chroma creep.
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

mrr19121970 wrote:You need to make the s-video mod. This known issue is due to chroma creep.
Are you still selling those solderless mod cables?

Or do you have a diagram of it? I have seen the written instructions but a diagram would help.

(Though honestly I'm not a fan of s-video, I never seem to have much luck with it and it seems more essential in ntsc regions.)
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

siccoyote wrote:
mrr19121970 wrote:(Though honestly I'm not a fan of s-video, I never seem to have much luck with it and it seems more essential in ntsc regions.)
I felt the same way for a long time. It was only when the last of my CRTs died and I switched to digital displays that S-Video became a necessity.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

siccoyote wrote:
mrr19121970 wrote:You need to make the s-video mod. This known issue is due to chroma creep.
Are you still selling those solderless mod cables?

Or do you have a diagram of it? I have seen the written instructions but a diagram would help.

(Though honestly I'm not a fan of s-video, I never seem to have much luck with it and it seems more essential in ntsc regions.)
it is very simple. Lift PIN2 of the VIC and add a 104 cap and 360ohm resistor in series. This is your chroma, luma is the old video out.

I don't sell the mods anymore.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

siccoyote wrote:What kind of lame ass noob do you take me for? :D

Thanks for the response but I think the answer is inside the vic-20 purely because it is limited to Red, Green, Cyan & Violet.

I thought about trying the RF but then realised it doesn't have one.
Ha hum... all unmodified PAL VIC-20 will do that. It's caused by the way the color information is encoded on composite signals.

The suggested S-Video mod causes the Luma+ sync and chroma signals to become separate.

Of course, VICE will not simulate this effect.

No need for the 'lame ass noob" comment...
Last edited by eslapion on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

eslapion wrote: Ha hum... all unmodified PAL VIC-20 will do that. It's caused by the way the color information is encoded on composite signals.

The suggested S-Video mod causes the Luma+ sync and chroma signals to become separate.

Of course, VICE will not simulate this effect.
I knew you'd have the answer. So I can either have it authentic as it is now or do the mod for a cleaner image. At least I know is it's not a fault
topcat
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by topcat »

I would also say it is 'normal' - but annoying.
I've seen similar effects called 'chroma crawl'.