Brand new joysticks from China

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Brand new joysticks from China

Post by beamrider »

Looks like Atari style joysticks are being manufactured at a decent price..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153131264549?chn=ps

A pity they chose arguably the worst ever joystick made. Why not make a Suncom or competition pro...
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Brand new joysticks from China

Post by norm8332 »

Cool,
Someone will have to give it a shot and let us know about the build quality.

Myself, I hate waiting a month for stuff from Hong Kong/China.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I don't think this is anything new. There have been cheap knock-offs of the Atari joystick for years.

My personal opinion is that the Atari joystick is good for the games it was designed for but more advanced games that require more precise control expose its limitations. The Commodore 1311 is infinitely worse but I still use it with the VIC for the sake of authenticity. I favour the Mindscape Powerplayer for more advanced games.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

A few years back I bought some modern repros from China. They were priced about the same. The sticks were fine, just as good as the original Atari sticks.

But that's a mixed blessing. The Atari stick is iconic, but my favorites are some of the third party options from back in the day.
  • Newport Controls ProStick II -- My all time favorite. Easily switchable between 4 and 8 way. Works for both right and left handed players. Robust and easily repairable.
  • Suncom TAC-2 -- A good short throw stick. Most of the ones I've come across are still working.
  • Zircon Video Command (2nd version) -- Stick is at the top of a grip. The first version requires pressing the stick down to fire, the second (improved) version has a fire button on the grip. I love this controller. It's very ergonomic and comfortable. It isn't #1 on my list because most don't appear to have survived the decades. I've got 1/5 working and they are very difficult to repair.
  • Wico Bat Handle -- A generally decent and durable stick. The biggest issue these days is the centering bushing is worn out, usually from the stick being stored on its side. Many of these now have a "lean" that affects play. I haven't had any luck finding replacement bushings, although the switches are simple and easily repairable.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Kweepa wrote:beamrider, you mean like this:
https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt- ... retro.html
?
Best choice imho :)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I wish the seller would just put them on E-Bay.

Most people can't be bothered with the hassle of registering on small vendor sites these days, especially with the risks of them being hacked.
prowlr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by prowlr »

I bought a pair of the Atari style joysticks a few months back. They were reasonably responsive and not to bad to use. Unfortunately, after 2-3 days of using one of them, it stopped working so they don't seem to have the best construction or materials when it comes to reliability. :(
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

Myself I am looking to rewire a ko mega drive 6 button pad. Mainly because it's a good pad and the cheapest Atari connection joypad you can buy. Mainly was thinking of wiring it up like an amstrad gx4000 pad with ABC being 1 2 1. I don't use the Atari joysticks if I can help it.
Lately I have been using a zipstick on the vic20 but mine has gone all squeeky.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

For those with access to a 3d printer or prepared to pay a print-shop, there is another option.

https://3dprint.com/82950/3d-printed-gaming-joystick/

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:918504

Uses those mechanisms and buttons from E-bay intended for use in arcade cabinets.

I have all the parts sat in my workshop waiting for a rainy Saturday afternoon.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I found the Cruiser joysticks to be the best.

Microswitches for direction and 2 fire buttons and a 3 position locking collar to vary the tension / stick travel.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready