Anyone remember the Toronto area BBS "Camelot" fro

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Anyone remember the Toronto area BBS "Camelot" fro

Post by ral-clan »

Just wondering if anyone here was a user on the mid-1980s Toronto area BBS called "Camelot".

This was one of my favourite BBSs of the time as it involved several threads which contained endless stories. i.e. users would write Fantasy/RPG themed stories which would be added onto by the next user, etc. The characters in the stories were the users on the BBS (we each took on a role).

The tone of the stories was usually humorous, in a Monty Python and the Holy Grail sort of way. Some of the stories were really great! I've a few old SEQ files of a few bits here and there.

That's when I first developed my alias "Ral-Clan". Ral-Clan was Camelot's resident dentist.
slaurel
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Anyone remember the Toronto area BBS "Camelot" fro

Post by slaurel »

Sometimes, patience is a virtue. Only took four years for (the right) someone to notice this post.

Are you still in touch with Rexfelis Greyhawk?

Of course I remember Camelot well, and I visited with Sir Robin last night. I know how to contact a few other former regulars too.

Sir Laurel
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

slaurel wrote:Sometimes, patience is a virtue. Only took four years for (the right) someone to notice this post.

Are you still in touch with Rexfelis Greyhawk?

Of course I remember Camelot well, and I visited with Sir Robin last night. I know how to contact a few other former regulars too.

Sir Laurel
Sir Laurel!

How NICE to hear from you after all these years! My friend Rexfelis (I had actually forgotten his alias!) has moved to Japan (a decade ago). So while I hear from him once in a blue moon, I am not really in touch with him anymore.

I have some fragments of the old BBS stories saved as old CBM sequential files. I wonder if anything else has survived. Let me know how you are! Feel free to take this to PM if you'd like.

I only vaguely remember some of the others - you of course, Lady Guinevere, The Dark Lord, Sir Isen??? (can't remember his alias...)....was there somebody called Grey Wolf?

Anyway, I have good memories from that BBS. How long did it last (I think I faded away from it by about 1987...88). When I watched Jason Scott's BBS Documentary I got all nostalgic (you should watch that if you haven't already seen it - free on YouTube).

Are you into retro-computing at all?
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
slaurel
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by slaurel »

I will take most of the rest to PM, but I'll add a list of names here as Google-bait to help others stumble across the thread someday.

Sysops: Lady Guinevere, King Arthur / Merlin (passed away from cancer sometime around 1990)

Some of the regular users/writers: Eisen Guard, Gonzo Tog (a flying blue squirrel), Sir Sagamore / Retch, Lady NightMare, The Great Archmage (quotes optional), Sir Robin, Smarasderagd Draco, White Wolf, Shonarr Ambercross, Alfred Prunesquallor (Lady G probably would have quashed the use of a reference if it was more widely recognizable), The Mithril Knight, The Knight in White, The Dark Lord, Rexfelis Greyhawk, Ral-Clan.

Pardon me if I've forgotten someone(s). It has been 25 years and I'm going from memory.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Sir Laurel, PM'd you and am just posting here in case you don't receive automated PM alerts.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Lady Gwynevere
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Lady Gwynevere »

I remember you all very well. This is Lady Gwynevere.sysop of Camelot. I think I spelled it Guinevere in those days). Where are you all? I was in touch with Gonzo Tog and Eisen Guard a few years back but have lost track. Would love to reconnect with any of my former Camelot users.
Lady Gwynevere
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Lady Gwynevere »

King Arthur aka merlin died of cancer on Oct 7 , 1987. It was his 38th birthday.My email is herdmandolores@ yahoo.ca
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hey Lady Gwynevere!

Thanks to you and King Arthur (I remember when he passed away) for creating "Camelot". It gave me a lot of great memories! Is there any chance any of the story threads were saved on floppy or anything?

So nice you dropped in to say "hello"!

Ral-Clan
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Like this thread, so much nostalgia I can feel the magic from back then.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by WhiteWolf »

Grrr...

On a lark, White Wolf decided to Google old Camelot BBS name to see what popped up.

Stumbled upon this thread.

White Wolf decided to utilize White Wolf's legendary skills to insert self into long-silent conversation.

White Wolf spent many early mornings logging onto Camelot to leave his brain-droppings.

Little known fact...White Wolf was also behind the mysterious voice of The Pool Of Knowledge, a verbose body of narrative water that only spoke in rhyme....(White Wolf certainly liked to impose very restrictive rules on speech patterns back in the day.)

White Wolf will now mark site in White Wolf's bookmarks. (Lacking any obvious trees, White Wolf locates nearby chat log...)

(lift leg, lift leg, lift leg...)

White Wolf go for walk now....

(trot, trot, trot...)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Suddenly, in a waft of dust and loose bits of straw a tiny dragon flutters into the room, followed by Ral-Clan.

Ral-Clan: Fang, look there! Wolf prints....and a musky but familiar smell of urine! Could it be?

(Fang lands near a dark streak on the ground, sniffs, then flies up to land on Ral-Clan's shoulder, hopping there excitedly).

[a booming voice echoes from no-where in particular]

WHITE WOLF! Great to hear from you. Do you have any of the old stories? PM me if you'd like me to send you the few scraps I have (about a dozen pages).