Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Re: Zombie Calavera Prologue

Post by Mike »

majikeyric wrote:It is released! Happy halloween everyone! :mrgreen:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 16#p102416
Great! And a good reason to power up the VIC-20 in the next days. 8)

@hasseapa: really like the redesigned Moon, especially the spooky clouds variant. Makes one think about doing a whole themed picture (in MP :wink:) from this.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Coming soon : Zombie Calavera Prologue

Post by beamrider »

Thanks for the game, looks amazing!, I will have a go later on real hardware outside in my mancave/corner of garage on halloween with the lights out and just the CRT glow.. :twisted:
hasseapa wrote:I guess the most simple solution to the moon borders would be a coarse black outline. It would require 8 additional chars though.
A bit academic as the game is released but I couldn't see how your design would work with the Vic hardware limitations..

Can you re-crecreate on my screen designer if possible and post the text from the Data Import/Export.. area. (Click the Export tab then "click Generate Text")? - [Don't need the ; Char Usage Report at the end]
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

beamrider wrote:A bit academic as the game is released but I couldn't see how your design would work with the Vic hardware limitations..
Still black as background, 8 characters around the center four that show circle segments, so the black corners merge into the outline ...? (download)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Mike wrote:
beamrider wrote:A bit academic as the game is released but I couldn't see how your design would work with the Vic hardware limitations..
Still black as background, 8 characters around the center four that show circle segments, so the black corners merge into the outline ...?

ah yes, clever
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Happy Halloween to you too, majikeyric! This looks absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to try it out!
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Did you ever find someone to make music for this? If not I might be interested.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Mike wrote:
@hasseapa: really like the redesigned Moon, especially the spooky clouds variant. Makes one think about doing a whole themed picture (in MP :wink:) from this.
Thanks, yes that would be my choice too. It would look even better with moving clouds and a flickering moon :P

Feel free to use the graphics.

I am aware of MiniPaint and I plan/hope to make Vic games and graphics some day in the future.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

The game is just as fast and as responsive as it looks to be on the video.

However, it is very important to read the instructions before you play. The spooky silhouette graphics are not just for style, they are for stealth too. Very cool!

Instructions
(from Mojon Twin's site http://www.mojontwins.com/juegos_mojono ... -prologue/ where you also find the background story)
To be able to move to the purgatory, Santos must open a door and, for that, he needs spiritual energy. The only way to get enough spiritual energy is gathering up to sixteen crucifixes in the graveyard. The problem is that it won’t be an easy task.

The graveyard is infested of monsters. Santos, carrying a powerful shotgun, should be able to eliminate them without much of a hassle, although this won’t be always a good idea, because dead monsters will come back in the shape of winged spirits which will pursue you relentlessly and which are much more difficult to dodge. Luckily, they are almost blind so if you hide in the background and don’t move they will stop seeing you and they’ll go away.

Usually you can hide behind pinacles, big trees and the weeds growing in the corners or next to a wall. You will soon discover which places are good hideouts and which aren’t. If you think you are hiden but spirits keep approaching… Look for a better place!

Finding the best hideouts, being patient and shooting only when needed are the keys of success in your mission.
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

R'zo wrote:Did you ever find someone to make music for this? If not I might be interested.
no, I play the original C64 SID and then convert the content of the SID registers to VIC audio registers.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

majikeyric wrote:no, I play the original C64 SID and then convert the content of the SID registers to VIC audio registers.
Is that a straightforward process? It sounds pretty good!
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

Wow! looking good. The game has a great atmosphere and 'feel'...

One suggestion I would like to make is that it takes too many shots to kill the baddies,,,

Perhaps a single shot for 'weaker' monsters and perhaps two or three to kill the 'stronger' ones?

Otherwise, it's great, very smooth animation and screen flipping.

Cheers,

Mike.
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

Kweepa wrote:Is that a straightforward process?
Yes
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

mingle wrote:Perhaps a single shot for 'weaker' monsters and perhaps two or three to kill the 'stronger' ones?
Sorry I stick to the original ZX Spectrum game :lol:
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Has a play Halloween night on real hardware. What can I say, excellent!

Can't believe how well the sprites move, looks just as fluid as the C64 version.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

I don't think I have ever seen Vic 20 sprites move as well as these! Extremely responsive too, but also extremely hard ... I guess running and jumping would be easier with a joystick but I have no way of transferring files from my PC to a real Vic 20, so I'm stuck with Vice and my keyboard for this.

The hiding is a neat mechanic and works really well thanks to the well defined sprites and background. There are, however, plenty of things I don't fully get:
  • Is it the total number of killed enemeies that determines the number of bats? Or is it just the enemies killed on that particular screen? Also, the bats seem to appear only on some screens (on most but not on all).
  • When I have collected crucifixes, there sometimes appear something that looks like an urn. These can be collected but I don't understand if they matter. Neither do I understand why and when they appear. Collecting the crucifix seems necessary but not sufficient.
  • Sometimes my lifeforce runs out, but instead of reaching zero, it seems to loop back to 99. Is this related to the crosses or perhaps to the urns?
When I get a sd2iec this will be one of the first games I'll test on real Vic with CRT TV and joystick. It is certainly a very impressive addition to the Vic library :D