Cartridges Do Not Work

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

thumb
Vic 20 Newbie

Cartridges Do Not Work

Post by thumb »

Just acquired a couple Vic-20's(early versions) and got them both to boot up with correct ram showing but that's about it. One of them you can type in commands and they seem to work but the other ones keyboard is locked up with the #8 showing. On both machines however, neither one will run a cartridge and I've tried about 8 of them. So from reading I am thinking it might be the UE12 901486-06 ROM, would this be a good place to star or does anyone have any other suggestions?
prowlr
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Cartridges Do Not Work

Post by prowlr »

Just acquired a couple Vic-20's(early versions) and got them both to boot up with correct ram showing but that's about it. One of them you can type in commands and they seem to work but the other ones keyboard is locked up with the #8 showing. On both machines however, neither one will run a cartridge and I've tried about 8 of them. So from reading I am thinking it might be the UE12 901486-06 ROM, would this be a good place to star or does anyone have any other suggestions?
When I blew the dust off my Vic20 recently it had troubles reading cartridges as well. I cleaned the cartridge edges as well as the cartridge port with isopropyl and also used an eraser on the cartridge edges and that got them working again.
thumb
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by thumb »

That was actually my next thing to try, I'll see if it works.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

I use a thin paint scraper (spackle applier) with thin bed sheet thickness fabric over it to clean the cart port. Place a piece of the fabric over the end of the scraper and apply at least 91% isopropyl alcohol (too much water in 70%) and insert and remove repetitively making sure to get all the contacts clean.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
thumb
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by thumb »

I've got some 99% isopropyl alcohol which should do the job nicely. Right now I'm working on a couple 1541 drives that are having problems reading and writing to disks. As soon as I get done with those I'll get back to the vic-20's and clean them up.
TheMightyMadman
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by TheMightyMadman »

A rubber usually works for ports that are just mucky, but for surface corrosion I use a fibreglass pen:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Fibre-Gl ... Sw5FZZzRCr

It's also easier to clean up after than a rubber, and doesn't leave any residue.
PET 3032 • 4040 • C64 • C64G • C64C • SX-64 • C128 • C128D • C16 • C116 • Plus/4 • VIC-20 • VIC-1541 • 1541 • 1541C • 1541-II • 1551 • 1570 • 1571 • 1581 • 1701 • 1084S-D2
Looking to buy: https://retrorepairsandrefurbs.com/looking-to-buy/
thumb
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by thumb »

TheMightyMadman wrote:A rubber usually works for ports that are just mucky, but for surface corrosion I use a fibreglass pen:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Fibre-Gl ... Sw5FZZzRCr

It's also easier to clean up after than a rubber, and doesn't leave any residue.
I've got a few of those laying around and they do work good.