Advice on a VIC-1020 shell restoration

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Re: Advice on a VIC-1020 shell restoration

Post by ral-clan »

I completely agree with highinfidelity's tips. I've used those techniques before and they are good ones. They are exactly what I would have recommended, including removing the label *before* you paint the case.

The only think I would add is that in the case where it's impossible to remove the label, you can carefully mask it off with tape before spray painting.

Also, from the looks of your label, is it possible it's a metal label with a thin clear plastic laminate scratch guard "sticker" over it? If so, this clear guard could be carefully peeled off to reveal the label underneath (which should still be clean). My 2-prong N. American VIC-20's case badge is like this. The guard could even be re-applied by buying a large sheet of whatever material they use for cell phone / tablet screen protectors.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Good tips! Thanks for them guys, will make good use of them, and report back soon.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

If you do get the sticker off, even if it's not in once piece.

1. reassemble it temporarily (if torn)
2. get it scanned on a large format scanner
3. clean up the image in paint program
4. convert to vector graphic in inkscape
5. save in vector format (like SVG)

Then you can get it reproduced somewhere.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

My VIC-1020 has the exact same problem with the label! I'd also be in for designing/printing a replacement.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Well guys. I had the time to peel off the label with (moderate) heat, using a common hairdryer. The result was that my 1020 has a tin foil label, very thin and delicate. No plastic protection on it. Underneath it, there is a plastic support which is quite thick (almost 1 mm I think), immaculate white. Sorry I did not take pictures. I spray-glued the label back on the support, and the result, far from being perfect (the support surface is still irregular, and the label has some defects like scratches etc.), is quite satisfactory. See attachments, if you can, else I'll use free image hosts again :)

I am in contact with the German guy Tommes, who sells very good reproductions of the label. His production times are quite long, and he needs a high-quality picture of the original and precise measurements. I did not scan the label while it was off, but a simple high-res picture will do, should I ever decide to buy a new one. I think I'll be content with my label for some time though.

Also, ral-clan: I already spray-painted it in opaque white (RAL 9010), and I am planning to do the same with the shell of VIC-20 CR you can see in the pics. I know, I know, retrobright would be better (restore old color instead of covering it up). But I want the stuff to have exactly the same color, so the PET effect is assured :).
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Well, it's a definite improvement!
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

orion70 wrote:I am in contact with the German guy Tommes, who sells very good reproductions of the label. His production times are quite long, and he needs a high-quality picture of the original and precise measurements. I did not scan the label while it was off, but a simple high-res picture will do...
I needed a new label for my 1020 and tried to make one from a photo of the original; my effort failed! So, I will need a label more professionally done.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Robert, you should definitely contact Tommes. You can find his mail in this thread.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Unfortunately, for some reason, once again in place of your pictures a red "you don't have permissions etc etc" string is shown... :?
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

orion70 wrote:Robert, you should definitely contact Tommes. You can find his mail in this thread.
Funny actually, as I need 2. I already contacted Tommes earlier this year. He told me by mail on the 17th April 2018 16:24 that he would add to the store. This never happened.

Here are some pics of another VC1020 restoration:

https://www.forum64.de/index.php?thread ... -modulbox/

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I always LOVED how the 1020 made the VIC look like a PET. It's cool they chose to use a PET style (shape, font, layout) long label on the 1020 case. The 1020 would look great with an early VIC-20 inside it that has the PET style keyboard.

It's interesting how Commodore seemed to use so many different types of labels types on the PETs. I've seen the cheaper thin ones like this that are like foil. On my SuperPET, it's a nice, substantial thick plastic label (almost a millimetre thick) where the printing seems to be sort of "embedded" into the plastic rather than merely a surface coating. The label also has a sort of "sand" texture to the plastic.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

highinfidelity wrote:Unfortunately, for some reason, once again in place of your pictures a red "you don't have permissions etc etc" string is shown... :?
:( here you are:

@mrr19121970: very nice restoration! The baby is working I guess... As for the 1020 labels, maybe he thinks it's not the case to put them in regular production, given the low demand? I wonder how many pieces of the other labels are sold though :)

@ral-clan: I agree. The VIC looks at home fitted into a good ol' 1020. When I sold my old piece, I immediately regretted, so began to look for another one. Over the time, I found a couple of Arfon Micro expansions for sale, of which I bought one (working). But the design of the Welsh product, although solid and very retro-looking, is - how can I say say - uncoupled from the white breadbin.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

that restoration was not mine. I didn't start at all on these yet....
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Didn't notice it was not yours, sorry. Great result anyway :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Well, I changed my mind about using a spray-painted, cost reduced VIC. Used a PET-keys old model instead :), without any treatment other than deep cleaning, cooling some chips with heat sinks and revamping carbon contacts in the keyboard:

First try: a good battle against the soviets in WW2 (Theater of War I) :D
The PSU cable (and the PSU itself) is visible of course, and I did not add the VC1541 Single Drive Floppy Disk (which would have been great for the retro-look), but the SD2IEC device is done with Commodore plastic and looks good and easy enough anyway. Plus, the Mega-Cart is installed.