Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Holy cow

Post by Kakemoms »

a4000bear
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Holy cow

Post by a4000bear »

Strange that the seller said "It is not compatible with NTSC TV". Japan used NTSC, and the pic of the PCB shows a 6560 VIC chip, which is the NTSC version. It could be faulty, which is why he could not get it to work on his NTSC TV.
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

Whoever wins it will probably give it to the 8-bit Guy. :-/
Cat; the other white meat.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Weird that it was posted in German and in Euros, but shipped from Ontario, Canada.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

cbmeeks wrote:Whoever wins it will probably give it to the 8-bit Guy. :-/
There are a lot more people than just the 8 bit guy who would appreciate this. The difference is that they prefer to not advertise themselves.

Still, 1150$ for a machine is a bit steep for me!
-Floopy
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

Floopy wrote:
cbmeeks wrote:Whoever wins it will probably give it to the 8-bit Guy. :-/
There are a lot more people than just the 8 bit guy who would appreciate this. The difference is that they prefer to not advertise themselves.

Still, 1150$ for a machine is a bit steep for me!

I was being a little sarcastic (and a little not). But I agree.

I guess I'm a little sour after I saw him receive a donation for a computer from someone I actually know and attempted to purchase. :-)
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

ral-clan wrote:Weird that it was posted in German and in Euros, but shipped from Ontario, Canada.
Yea, I have bought some Commodore stuff from him before and can confirm that he always ship from Canada. He is a little expensive, but his collection is quite amazing (and he has been selling from it over the last year).

$1150 for a Vic-1001 is actually cheaper than the last one I saw there.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Just to get it straight: Seller relisted this and I bought it.

So nothing to 8-bit guy. Sorry.

Looks nice, some keys needed reseating, still untested. It has the revised heatsink, but 6560 datecode is week 44, 1980(!) Most other ICs are week 50. The VIAs seems to be newer (but I have a pair of old ones which will go in).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Wow, congrats! Pictures please :D
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

Kakemoms wrote:Looks nice, some keys needed reseating, still untested. It has the revised heatsink, but 6560 datecode is week 44, 1980(!) Most other ICs are week 50. The VIAs seems to be newer (but I have a pair of old ones which will go in).

Yeah, but can it run Crysis?

Sorry...couldn't resist...actually hate that meme. But it seemed funny at the moment. lol

Sounds like an awesome piece for you collection. Do you plan on making it your primary Vic?
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Primary Vic? Well, I have 9 now, and I mostly use a couple of "standard" CR machines. The keyboard of those two CRs behaves quite differently even if they look the same. I have to examine that at some point..

The Vic-1001 is awesome. Sorry, but pictures will come! The keys don't stick out evenly compared to my slightly later Japan produced US-version. They are both PET-keys, but with the Japanese katakana fronts on the 1001. It feels like the spring is different somehow (the 1001 has a slightly weaker spring tension which may be the reason not all keys look fully depressed). Or it could be that this Vic-1001 has seen a lot of use.

Anyway, its really something. Its this machine that sparked off the real computer revolution "Computer to the masses".. If the 1001 had not sold as well as it did... the Vic-20 wouldn't exist at all. :shock:
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Starting to look like hording! :D I shouldn't talk I have 17 and a spare motherboard. :shock:
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

norm8332 wrote:Starting to look like hording! :D I shouldn't talk I have 17 and a spare motherboard. :shock:
They're not all VIC's, but I have "80-ish" vintage computers. I am a hoarder....lol