Now, the most recent catalog came today, and sadly this
section is just labeled "6500 series". They still carry the same
5 chips.

I think it was neat that a retailer not generally associated with
the vintage scene, still recognized that those chips should
be identified as "Commodore".

Later,
Brian
If you document it, its not a bug, its a feature.
~
You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Just don't count on having them both at once.
~
There was a time, before we were born. If someone asks, this is where I'll be.
6502dude
megacart

Re: New Jameco Electronics catalog

Post by 6502dude »

yoyodyne wrote:I think it was neat that a retailer not generally associated with

I respectfully disagree.

Although MOS (Commodore) made 6502, there were a huge number of other 2nd source suppliers for it (Synertec, Rockwell, WDC, NCR, NTE, Sanyo, UMC, HKE, GTE, CMD, etc).

Given that Commodore is bankrupt, and unless Jameco has NOS supply of MOS chips, it would be inappropriate to list or reference Commodore as supplier for parts that Jameco has available for sale.

I do agree that Rat Shack sucks :lol:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
saundby
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by saundby »

Radio Shack (a.k.a. Radio Shaft, a.k.a. Chicken Shack) sucks now far more than they ever have in the past. They have still not given up carrying all parts, but what's left is little more than false promise. Less than two years ago they'd order anything you wanted and have it shipped to your house, even in-store orders. They also carried a decent selection of standard logic in through-hole parts. Now nearly all logic has been eliminated, as well as a number of other useful parts.

In the past they were rightly reviled for the ignorance of their staff, for relabelling standard parts as RS-xxxx (e.g. a CDP4050 as an RS4050), and for not updating their catalog of parts regularly. Now they can be reviled even more for eviscerating their non-consumer product line--at a time when the electronics hobby is on a major upswing. Their market research is as contrary as contrary comes.

As to Jameco, I've done business with them for about thirty years now and I've always liked them (when Radio Shack carried Jameco's "Jim-Pak" products it went a long way toward making even Radio Shack a far better store, as a matter of fact.) They used to carry a wide range of Commodore-specific parts. My spare VIC, VIC-II, and SID chips that are in my parts drawers now were purchased from them when they were closing out those parts.

The parts they have now are far fewer than in the day, but it's great that they still carry something. However, the parts they carry now are not Commodore-specific (as 6502dude noted.) I think it's great that they still carry anything at all of this sort. It would not be difficult for them to make an economic case for dropping these products out of their line entirely, and going entirely into PC products (as many another vendor has done.)

A good reason for them not labelling the chips as Commodore chips is that they're used for far more than Commodore products. Apple and Atari systems use them, as well as a lot of other devices, and then there are those of us who still turn out an occasional homebrew system. Catalogs are marketing, and good marketing for limited demand items like these would be to seek to reach as wide an audience as possible.

So, my take on it is that I'm overjoyed that these chips are still readily available from retail sources, they're inexpensive, and that the retail source is a company I do a good amount of business with for these and other parts.

If you want to find something to gripe about, ;), try looking for parts for the COSMAC Elf! The video chip is unobtainium, the original hex displays cost US$30+ per digit, and so on.

The Elf video chip situation is so bad that one fellow came up with a hardware emulator to replace it. Check it out here:
http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/

-Mark G.
yoyodyne
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: New Jameco Electronics catalog

Post by yoyodyne »

6502dude wrote:
yoyodyne wrote:I think it was neat that a retailer not generally associated with

I respectfully disagree.

Although MOS (Commodore) made 6502, there were a huge number of other 2nd source suppliers for it (Synertec, Rockwell, WDC, NCR, NTE, Sanyo, UMC, HKE, GTE, CMD, etc).
I am well aware of the 2nd source availablilty of the 6502, as I am
sure is Jameco.

I never intended to imply that only Commodore "made" these chips, nor
do I think that Jameco beleives that they did. My post was to bring
attention to the fact that Jameco realizes that during the past 20
years, mostly Commodore fans were purchasing these chips, and
made note of it in their catalog. Since they have discontinued this
in their catalog, they must think we are all gone? :wink:

If I remember right, the Jameco catalogs from 15-20 years ago had
a huge assortment of Commodore replacement chips.
If you document it, its not a bug, its a feature.
~
You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Just don't count on having them both at once.
~
There was a time, before we were born. If someone asks, this is where I'll be.