Gamebase20 v0.3 - how to use WinVice 3.1?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Gamebase20 v0.3 - how to use WinVice 3.1?

Post by mingle »

Hi,

I'm trying to set up the Gamebase20_V03 database use the Gamebase frontend (v1.3), but when I try and run the Emulator Setup Wizard, it doesn't seem to support the current version of WinVice (3.1).

It took me while to get to this step as proper documentation and instructions on how to set it up are pretty poor. It took me 10 minutes to realise I needed to actually install the BU22 "Gamebase Frontend" first - there's no mention of this in the Gamebase20 install.txt file....

Is there any way to make it work, or do I need to dig-up Winvice 2.4?

Thanks,

Mike.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Gamebase20 v0.3 - how to use WinVice 3.1?

Post by mrr19121970 »

The current version of VICE is 3.2
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Hey there... I linked to GB20 more for the games than actually installing the frontend and database heh.

When the current version of GB20 was publicly released, VICE 2.4 was the latest version of the emulator available. That's why the wizard won't find VICE 3.x, because it works by comparing checksums, and it doesn't have the checksums for those versions in the set up file. I can hopefully prepare and send you an updated file needed for that tonight, please PM me with an email address to send it to. In the meantime, yes, please try VICE 2.4.

The other reason is there are a bunch of other things needed to be tweaked as well, and I don't know if the game execution script works 100% with VICE 3.x either, it's something I need to fully investigate and test.

Also, when GB20 v0.3 came out, the GameBase 1.3 frontend had only just released, and didn't support it fully. There will be quite a few missing fields etc. The next version of GB20 will properly support the 1.3 frontend and fill in/hide the missing fields correctly.

I tried to make the installation steps as obvious as possible in the readme file, but I'll take your comments onboard and adjust. I did assume people downloading it already had the GB frontend installed I guess! Many people installing GB20 already had GB64 present...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

@Mayhem,

Thanks for the reply - I hope I didn't sound too ungrateful or critical! GB20 is a great achievement and we all love it :-)

I might give it a go with WinVice 2.4 and see how it goes.

I typically don't use front-ends and just access the games directly from within Winvice, but this looked interesting.

Cheers,

Mike.