I got a Commodore Vic-20

Discuss anything related to the VIC
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: I got a Commodore Vic-20

Post by tokra »

I have heard the least bad things about this power supply:

https://www.retrogamesupply.com/collect ... mmodore-64

Been using this for some time now. A big plus is its weight. Compared to the bricks Commodore produced this is leight-weight. And I can transport my computer to parties without worrying the brick-power-supply will smash the rest of my devices during travel.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

But is there any product you recommend we use that is new?
not a specific product. i am using a C128 PSU myself, which is quite a bit better than the C64 powerbricks. should that ever fail, i'd probably just build a replacement myself :) a good DIY variant for ppl without any electronics knowledge still is to just use two wallwarts (not the cheapest china stuff preferably).
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

groepaz wrote:is that Sav64 the placebo thing that will safely cut the power with a relay.... a couple hundred microseconds after the C64 was fried
Is there any evidence of this? Because I have one of Ray Carlson's computer savers (goes in between power supply and computer). This is the first I've heard that it is not effective.

By evidence I mean: has anyone still had their computer fried despite having one of these plugged in? Or vice-versa, are there any real life examples of a computer saver that has triggered, saving the computer iteself?
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

there is no evidence for either, neither that it "works" nor that it does not. it'd also be hard to produce such evidence :) (anecdotes do not help)

however, its undeniable fact that a circuit like this is relatively slow, and would expose the output to high(er) voltage much longer than desirable. there is a reason for why that crowbar circuit exists after all - it is much faster (and thus much safer).

there is a longish thread on lemon where the same question(s) came up - and apparently noone could provide even simulation results for that circuit (or any other failure-mode measurements) - which means you are basically relying on pure luck.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Sidney
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sidney »

Since I bought my Vic20 earlier this year I've been beating myself up as to why I didn't get one sooner! It really is a superb system that has a shedload of great pick up and play fun games, but then you guys know that already!
With the Penultimate Cartridge it's an essential purchase for every retro gamer. I added a PSU that is also C64 compatible from a chap that makes them in Poland and I'm loving everything about this machine.
I'm off for another blast on Jelly Monsters!!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Good luck and have fun with your new friend(ly) machine Sidney!
You'll find plenty of info, and software, in this forum, which is the Summa Theologiae (or the Encyclopaedia, if you prefer :)) of everything VIC.