TAP files and saving with VICE

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

dj9091
Vic 20 Newbie

TAP files and saving with VICE

Post by dj9091 »

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a TAP file to a PRG or something that can be saved on a SD2IEC and loaded into a VIC-20? I've tried messing with recording a TAP to a tape but I can never get that sweet spot recording level.

Or, is it possible to load a TAP into VICE, and then save it? If so, I can't find where my program is saving. I get it loaded fine, the I save "filename", 8 and then it's not where I would have expected it (based on where I loaded the program from).

Thanks for any advice on this one.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: TAP files and saving with VICE

Post by orion70 »

Several multiple parts tap games were single-filed into a prg in the past. You should be able to find them searching in the forum. As for simple programs loaded in Vice from tap, simply attach a d64 image in drive 8, or create an empty one, before SAVEing. You'll find the prg in the d64, ready for your sd2iec device.
dj9091
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by dj9091 »

I'm still kind of new at using VICE. Is attaching the d64 image difficult? Sorry for the ignorance...I actually just found VICE about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Don
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

orion70 wrote:Several multiple parts tap games were single-filed into a PDF in the past. You should be able to find them searching in the forum. As for simple programs loaded in Vice from tap, simply attach a d64 image in drive 8, or create an empty one, before SAVEing. You'll find the prg in the d64, ready for your sd2iec device.
PDF?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

PRG he ment =D
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Yep, writing from a phone - damned autocorrect :evil:
dj9091
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by dj9091 »

Ok, so I did some research and some experimentation. Not having a lot of success. I loaded the TAP into VICE. Then I went to File>Attach Disk Image>Drive 8. I typed in the file name as TEST and clicked "Create Image".

At this point I could use some assistance on how to save the program into the d64 image. Should I have created the image and attached and THEN loaded the TAP into VICE and saved?

Thanks all!

Don
dj9091
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by dj9091 »

Ok, I've actually made some progress and saved the TAP to a d64. Now, is there a way to extract the prg from the d64? When I load the whole d64 onto an SD card and try to run it on the VIC-20, I'm getting nothing. Not even a program list.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

c1541 bla.d64 -extract
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

...or D64 Editor :wink:
dj9091 wrote:When I load the whole d64 onto an SD card and try to run it on the VIC-20, I'm getting nothing. Not even a program list.
That's because you have to mount the D64 with

Code: Select all

open 15,8,15,"cd:diskname.d64": close 15
Else, you can simply put a loader (thanks Boray :)) in the root directory of the SD card, and use it to browse through D64 images and/or all SD subdirectories.