Copying protected cassettes

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Copying protected cassettes

Post by ral-clan »

I have a lot of old cassette games I'd like to transfer to 1541 floppies. It seems some of them have copy protection. Was there ever any software made (like all the nibblers and stuff on the C64) to copy protected tapes/disks on the VIC-20?

I know I could load these tapes into my PC....and then use Star Commander to put them back on to a 1541 disk, but I'd like to know if there is an all in one VIC-20 solution.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Even if you extract the files from a TAP and put on a D64 image, it won't load properly if the tape consists of loaders and several files. You would need to analyze the contents and either modify the loaders or attempt to single-file (w/ crunching) the program. That is what I'm doing with the few TAPs nbla000 posted.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: Copying protected cassettes

Post by nbla000 »

ral-clan wrote:I know I could load these tapes into my PC....and then use Star Commander to put them back on to a 1541 disk
How you can read a TAP file on Star Commander? need some additional files?
I use some PC utilities that convert TAP on T64 and after Star Commander to transfer a T64 to a D64/D81 file but expecially in turbo taped/multi load/protected games the TAP to T64 doesn't work well.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I found Audiotap better than Tape64 when it comes to reading contents from custom TAP files. Audiotap outputs each file, while the other program reports ?LOAD ERROR if it doesn't correspond to default loader methods.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Re: Copying protected cassettes

Post by ral-clan »

nbla000 wrote:
ral-clan wrote:I know I could load these tapes into my PC....and then use Star Commander to put them back on to a 1541 disk
How you can read a TAP file on Star Commander? need some additional files?
I use some PC utilities that convert TAP on T64 and after Star Commander to transfer a T64 to a D64/D81 file but expecially in turbo taped/multi load/protected games the TAP to T64 doesn't work well.
I left out some steps for the sake of brevity. What I meant was:
  • Datasette to PC (with MTAP) resulting in a TAP file.
    TAP file loaded in VICE, saved to disk image as .PRG
    then saved to a 1541 connected to the PC
    .....then loaded onto a real VIC-20.