C64 DTV Hacking Help?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

povvercrazy
Vic 20 Newbie

C64 DTV Hacking Help?

Post by povvercrazy »

Hi
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but, I have recently come across one of those c64 Dtv units,
And have almost finished hacking it, but I have an issue atm, I can't seem to get the PS/2 keyboard I have
to work with it, I'm pretty sure its connected to the correct place and has 5v supplying it.
It works 'randomly' at best the keys don't do what they are supposed to if they do work.
I suppose it could be the keyboard but I don't have another device to test it on,
Does anyone know anything about the Dtv, does it need a certain type of ps/2 keyboard?

(mod: moved topic from "General Topics" to "Other Systems")
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: C64 DTV Hacking Help?

Post by tonyrocks »

Hello,
I attempted 1 time to hack mine but never had much success. I could never get the keyboard to be recognized. Also, i think there may be 2 versions of the DTV, one that may not work with the keyboard hack. I gave up and just spent my money on a c-64 for 20 bucks on craigslist...which was cheaper than my DTV :) I even talked to Jeri Ellsworth about it and she was like...why don't you just but a C64? :) hehe
povvercrazy
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by povvercrazy »

Yeh there's 3 versions, think mines the model 2, everything is labelled on the silkscreen,
I'm thinking it might be an older type of ps/2 keyboard I need a few buttons work enter/esc a few others.
maybe find an old at keyboard and try that.
My reason for doing this as apposed to a normal C64 is because its something to do...
Whats not cool about a fully working c64 in a competition pro style joystick!!

Its converted to micro usb power and I intend to mount all the sockets in the battery bay,
its just a side project that I keep going back to, but this keyboard problem is the final hurdle now :)
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

I totally understand your reasoning :) Mine was absolutely the same. Good luck. I had a terrible time sourcing the proper ps/2 keyboard...had a hard time figuring out the pin outs but that is just me. Good luck. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.