Apple II forums ?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Apple II forums ?

Post by Bobbi »

I am retracing my own history with computers. My first was a two prong VIC-20 (UK, PAL) back in 1982. My next system was a secondhand Apple II Europlus, which was a major upgrade as it came with floppy drives and had a (seemingly huge) 48K!!

I am considering buying an Apple II (probably a //e) off of eBay but I am trying to educate myself a bit first about modern peripherals and attempting to find any kind of community around the machine. Unlike the Commodore machines which are well served by Denial and Lemon 64, the Apple II scene seems to be fragmented across many low-bandwidth forums.

Does anyone know of a good Apple II forum out there?

My primary interest right now is to find out about SD card adaptors (similar to SD2IEC for Commodore) so I can download disk images from the Internet and run them on a real system. I have a crazy idea that maybe I can use Appleworks to do real work on such a system! (Back in the day, my II+ wasn't able to run Appleworks ...)

(I am asking here because Denial rocks!)
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Apple II forums?

Post by Mike »

Applefritter looks about decent and fairly active. It doesn't, however, restrict itself to the Apple II but also covers other Apple computers, and the sections don't separate between software and hardware topics, so there ... YMMV.

HTH,

Michael
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Apple II forums ?

Post by Bobbi »

AppleFritter's forum looks OK - I think it was the best one I found out there.

However it seems there are too many forums with Apple II content and as a result they are all very low bandwidth.

The more I look around the more I find Denial is a gem of a site! I find it way more interesting than Lemon64 for example. I guess if I were more of a gamer I would enjoy Lemon64 more but my interest is more towards programming and 'productivity' software.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

You could also do a lot worse than AtariAge. Virtually any system you care to mention is covered in some form and even if it isn't you can start a thread on the subject and expect people to know something about it:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

It is funny to go to an Atari site for Apple II stuff, but I will check it out!
Distracted by my new C64 right now.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Bobbi wrote:It is funny to go to an Atari site for Apple II stuff, but I will check it out!
Distracted by my new C64 right now.
AtariAge is a forum of many forums.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay ... e-(I-etc-)

Back from the Caribbean,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

Thank you for the pointers folks. Maybe an Apple II is in my future.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

Floppy Emu is the best SDIEC-like solution I found, I have the model B with case and it works great! http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

When I do eventually get an Apple II (again), the Floppy Emu will also be on my shopping list :)