Jeff's not very handy

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Jeff's not very handy

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been away for a few days working on a broken heart :( I'm back to my projects and wanted a little input.

Project one is taking apart a Gameboy Advance. It has one of those funky three point screws (something like a phillips head but with three spokes rather than four). I can seem to get my flat head standard screw driver to open it. I am considering drilling out the screws with my dremel. Any suggestions for getting this thing open?

Project two is drilling button holes in the control panel of my pacman arcade. The panel is wood with a metal layer on the surface. I have a drill and circular hole bit; however, I've never done such a project. I tried but the bit actually wouldn't penetrate the wood! I feel like a wimp. Wish I had taken shop classes in high school.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Jeff's not very handy

Post by tlr »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've been away for a few days working on a broken heart :( I'm back to my projects and wanted a little input.
This doesn't sound good. Do you mean this in an emotional way or medical way?
Jeff-20 wrote:Project one is taking apart a Gameboy Advance. It has one of those funky three point screws (something like a phillips head but with three spokes rather than four). I can seem to get my flat head standard screw driver to open it. I am considering drilling out the screws with my dremel. Any suggestions for getting this thing open?
You need something like this: GBA Opening Tool
Jeff-20 wrote:Project two is drilling button holes in the control panel of my pacman arcade. The panel is wood with a metal layer on the surface. I have a drill and circular hole bit; however, I've never done such a project. I tried but the bit actually wouldn't penetrate the wood! I feel like a wimp. Wish I had taken shop classes in high school.
Do you mean like a large circular hole? I'm not familiar with the American terms used for these things.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The broken heart is emotional. I'm okay now.
I have a habit of asking stupid questions shortly before figuring out the answer myself. I drilled the holes today. they were slightly off center -- more of an elliptical cylinder. It's a little sloppy, but it works.
I wish I could figure out a way to safely open that GBA with what I have... There should be some sort of universal screw remover. :wink:
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Jeff,

> There should be some sort of universal screw remover. ;)

... a hot-glue gun? 8)

Michael
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I wonder, is the Nintendo screw (or how to call it) really so unique? To me it looks like a six edged star. There is a kind of French (?) screw that IBM used in their PCs through the years. It has a star shape, but maybe it is only five edged? I don't own a Gameboy so I can't compare screwdriver and screw.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The nintendo gba screw is a three-point star shape. I was just being cheap and lazy; I'd rather find an alternative removal method than buy a tool for one-time use.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe you'll need to take apart (and assemble!) the Gameboy unit more than once? I don't know why you want to do it - I assume some kind of modding rather than just being curious how it looks inside.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

One of the guy's in my local gaming community gave me a broken GBA with a removed LCD screen. It is hollow with the circuits visible behind the transparent plastic lens (?). I wanted to change it into a picture frame.