Commodore 2040 dual floppy parts

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Commodore 2040 dual floppy parts

Post by Kakemoms »

Hi

Anyone know were to find parts for the old floppy drives? One of the drives looks like it has all its hardware in order, but the other is missing a metal rod or shaft (that goes through a 2inc black wheel). I think the wheel is involved in the movement of the read/write heat. Here is a picture (red arrow shows missing part):
CBM2040-problem.png
Unfortunately the whole unit was smashed during transport (the metal casing being deformed), so there is probably other problems with it as well. I can re-solder most of the electronics, but mechanical parts are harder to get by. The 3040 may have the same drives (and even the 4040).
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Commodore 2040 dual floppy parts

Post by srowe »

These are probably the same as the 4040, Shugart SA390's. There's a list of parts on zimmers.

They were also used in Apple II's there's an interesting history here about how Woz simplified the hardware of the SA400 to create them.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Commodore 2040 dual floppy parts

Post by Kakemoms »

Interesting. I also found some Franklin ACE 10 disk drives with the same mechanism inside. Unfortunately, all of them are in the US so the shipping is 50€ which is too expensive.

I will try to find some other disk drives that work and scrap this 2040 project.