ZX Spectrum Hanheld

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

ZX Spectrum Hanheld

Post by Jeff-20 »

"The world’s only hand-held LCD games console with 1,000 licensed games inside that can also connect to your TV!!"
Link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... ole#/story
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: ZX Spectrum Hanheld

Post by mrr19121970 »

still no real keyboard
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

There have been a couple of threads about the Vega+ on Lemon and the Retro Gamer forums. I haven't pre-ordered but I plan to get one when it hits retail.

It's certainly a controversial product. Some people think it's great that we're getting a contemporary Sinclair machine (especially one that's endorsed by Sir Clive himself) while others think it's a shameless cash-in on the technology people have already been using for years through tablets and mobile phones. I quite like the design - PSP with a more sensibly placed power button and digital file storage instead of a crappy optical drive.

I'm not too bothered about the keyboard because most of the games I play are joystick controlled anyway but it would be nice if they can fix it so games like Chuckie Egg and Ant Attack (keyboard but could and should have been joystick) can be controlled from the d-pad.
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Biggest problem is that it's only an emulator device. Yes, it's a nice emulator but.. you know..
I could pay if I could get a real handheld Z80 spectrum
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Now I am very excited
A New Speccy Is Coming...

"The Spectrum Next is a reimplementation of the original at hardware level, ensuring it runs all the software out there -- old and new. And it's also compatible with most expansions made for the ZX Spectrum."
lance.ewing
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by lance.ewing »

I've already got the Vega handheld on my wish list, but if the Spectrum Next sees the light of day, I'm definitely adding that as well.

I'm a big fan of Chris Smith, the main guy behind the Spectrum Vega. I bought a copy of his "The ZX Spectrum ULA: How to Design a Microcomputer" book a couple of months ago. It's truly fascinating. I spend quite a bit of time flicking through its pages. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to put together a book like that about the 6561/6560 chips.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What's the Spec user base compared to the VIC? I would cry with joy to see a VIC 20 Next.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Jeff-20 wrote:What's the Spec user base compared to the VIC? I would cry with joy to see a VIC 20 Next.
In the UK, it's pretty much neck-and-neck with the C64. In Europe, it's semi-popular (particularly in Holland, for some reason). In North America, it's a strange curiosity that only the most hard core import gamers would bother with.

For those who are interested, the BBC drama Micro Men gives an insight into the British home computer market from a Sinclair and Acorn point of view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM