New toy

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

New toy

Post by srowe »

Just collected a new addition to my Commodore collection. Now I just need to build my IEEE cart.
CAM00244.jpg
It looks in pretty good condition, I've had a quick check inside and apart from some dust it looks like it should work. Apart from the massive power capacitors all the others look like tantalum, are they going to be ok after all this time?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: New toy

Post by groepaz »

the Y-capacitor in the power filter is a candidate for exchange most likely.

i'd disconnect the PSU from the rest before first power-on...and then check the voltages
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Thanks for the tip. Is that cap in the power supply or on the main PCB?

I'm concerned about powering on something as old as this, any other suggestions about what I should check? I'm hopeful it's actually in working order, it was PAT tested in 2011 :shock:
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

its the first thing at the power cable, before the transformator, often its inside the connector for the power cable. (it may also not exist at all, not all of these drives had them iirc)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

The good, old 4040... I have two or three of those.

Happy New Year,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Getting at the rear of the power supply proved a bit fiddly (I had to remove the drive in front of it). There's nothing between the power socket and the transformer (other than the fuse and switch). I checked the transformer output, the input to the 5V circuit was 7.5V, I couldn't get a reading off the 12V circuit (but that is probably my meter).

I plugged it in and fired it up and both drives spin for a few seconds and then stop, I think that's normal behaviour. I don't have a way of testing further, I might have to dig out my ISA IEEE488 card and try it with OpenCBM.