What's the First Game You've Ever Played?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Castlebrick
Vic 20 Newbie

What's the First Game You've Ever Played?

Post by Castlebrick »

This week I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I played the first game I ever played, Pac-Man World 2. I was in preschool when my family decided to stay in a mountain cabin. In my bedroom there was an X-Box and that beauty of a game.
Pac-Man World 2 is definitely worth trying out. It's a 3/D platformer that has mazes that can be found throughout the levels. The graphics are as good as they need to be (Pac-Man looks great), the gameplay is perfect, and the game has some of the best music I've ever heard.
So, what was your first game?
CastleVIC would have been a much better name.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: What's the First Game You've Ever Played?

Post by Mayhem »

Wow, you must be young ;)

My first game... hmm... Pong. On a console, probably Combat on the Atari 2600.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

My earliest memories of gaming go back to Blitz and Shark Attack on my parents' VIC-20, but the first game I consciously remember playing is Freeway on the 2600 when it was bundled with the Junior model on the 32 in 1 cartridge (Christmas 1991). I also have faint memories of Chuckie Egg on my school's BBC Micro a little bit before that.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Pong here, too. Some kind of Pong clone, circa 1978. Owned by far relatives, who were teenagers back then (I was only 8 ). I remember the three of us, in flare jeans and checkered shirts, and a huge B/W TV set. We felt like gods, or heroes of some sci-fi B movie.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Domestically, it would have been a variation of Pong on one of these at a friends house in the late 70s - http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2008/10/ ... tv-master/

The first very Arcade games I remember were "Boot Hill" ( http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... me_id=7193 ) at the local transport Cafe and Pong on a ferry trip to the Isle of Man - can't remember which was the earliest. Boot hill was quickly replaced [at the local Cafe] by Space Invaders.

The next wave of arcade games I remember seeing were "Astrofire" and "Tank Battalion" :) and around the same time my friend got the Atari 2600.

First computer game would be the "Ccommodore Pet" conversion of Space-Invaders, which was suprisingly good.
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Pong. All my friends had pong consoles. Even when i bought my first games console in 1979 (fairchild channel f) Pong was built in.
Dinorast73
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Dinorast73 »

Mine was also a pong clone, followed up by supermampfer (KC munchkin) on the Od. 2. On the vic20 it was Amok...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I'm not sure. Possibly Vicmen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zes5POr0Nw
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Pole Position or Boulder Dash (C64)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Pong - some cheap clone, was my first "console" I got christmas 79 or 80.
Shortly after that we began to rent an Atari 2600 with Pacman and Asteroids at our local video rental shop (don't know the correct term for this type of shop, but you know what I mean :) )
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

One of those 70s pong clones...it had the gun as well....I was so young I would sit on the floor with the barrel of the gun right up against the TV screen...my dad thought it was so funny
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Well, for what I see, if this was a poll Pong would have won hands down. I guess it's a matter of average Denialers age, and Pong being the video game king in the Seventies.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

This is a question that surfaces on VG and IT forums quite regularly, and I remember being asked quite many times about it! :wink:

I wonder if there will be a time in the future when people will not know the answer. My young nephew has begun playing with cellphone apps and has been presented with a Game Cube in underschool age, and I wonder if he will actually recall playing with those in the future, and which was his first game specifically. Probably he won't.

Back to myself: it was Asteroids at an arcade by the sea near Venice. Arcade at the times were mostly filled up with flippers (pinballs), table-footballs and assorted devices to be punched, kicked or hammered to measure your strength and impress (more or less... :mrgreen: ) the chicks. Videogames were scarce and were the big new thing. I don't know exactly when Asteroids landed to Italy, I suppose not immediately, so perhaps it was 1979 or 1980 already. I was very young and I also had never seen such thing as a videogame before, so my gaming lasted no more than 10 seconds for sure :mrgreen: , but the machine impressed me greatly nonetheless.

Quite obviously being initiated to videogaming by a vector machine is behind my fondness for the Vectrex. :wink:
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ha! Caught by vector graphics straight from the beginning! I also remember they were the bleeding edge of technology in late 80s, and still are in some way (TRON is visually impressive still today). IMO, the neon lights mania in bars and restaurants is also to be linked to vector graphics.

Me, I still want a Vectrex BADLY, but can't afford one without risking divorce... :evil:
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

What if you present your wife with a haut couture pair of shoes and yourself with a Vectrex at the same time? 8)

Seriously: I think you better go and grab one until they're not too old. Their price is increasing constantly, at least at the same rate as the inflation, so they will never be cheaper than today; and I figure they will also be harder to service due to lack of spare parts in the future. So today is better than tomorrow, if you've made up your mind about it! :wink:
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.