Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

norm8332
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: New generation of PLA - PLAnkton

Postby norm8332 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:53 pm

MCes wrote:reporting fact = troll

strange equations....

Thanks for the crappy memory card that almost anyone could make on a breadboard in 5 minutes. I think PLAnkton is in another league and you just can't grasp it therefore you are a jealous jerk about it.

MCes
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Postby MCes » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:02 pm

norm8332 wrote:
MCes wrote:reporting fact = troll

strange equations....

Thanks for the crappy memory card that almost anyone could make on a breadboard in 5 minutes. I think PLAnkton is in another league and you just can't grasp it therefore you are a jealous jerk about it.

what a clear technical analysis!
On TV I watched Totò Riina that used words similar for who don't permit to him to escape when he was handcuffed...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Riina

If you need to insult for escaping from a technical point it means :
1) you are wrong
2) you know the point 1
“Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience” (Mark Twain ?)

MCes
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Postby MCes » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Funny!

People that make everything but not simply to measure with a voltmeter the Vcc on the CPLD!

If eslapion trust in it's opinion he can supply a C64 with 5,25V (or 7V) mesuring this voltage between pin 14 and 28 of the plankton and posting the pics of relative measuring of the Vcc onto CPLD inside the plankton....

After we will have on an hand the CPLD datasheet and into the other hand the measuring from the real world, so we will have something to comment...

Now I'm waiting that Eslaption will writing something as "I can't measure it because my plankons was eaten by my red fishes!"
“Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience” (Mark Twain ?)

eslapion
ultimate expander

Postby eslapion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm

MCes wrote:People that make everything but not simply to measure with a voltmeter the Vcc on the CPLD!

I'm sorry, I can't make sense of that sentence...

If eslapion trust in it's opinion he can supply a C64 with 5,25V (or 7V) mesuring this voltage between pin 14 and 28 of the plankton and posting the pics of relative measuring of the Vcc onto CPLD inside the plankton....

Ok...OK... you mean...
If eslapion firmly believes what he says then he can supply a C64 with 5.25V (or 7V) and measure the voltage between pins 14 and 28 of the PLAnkton module and post pics of these measurements at PLAnkton's CPLD power lines...

... can't quite get the rest but I get the idea.

1- You have a PLAnkton apparently so why don't you do it ?
2- I won't go to 7V as this would destroy the DRAM chips.
3- If 5.25V is satisfactory then your wish is my command... BTW, if you power a C64 at 5.25Vdc (on the DC input) you can't get 5.25V on the main board because of the power filter.
No one can do everything. Everyone can do something.

MCes
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Postby MCes » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm

5.25V is the limit of the TTL chip, not of the board: feed the C64 Vcc line to read 5,25V on pin 14-28 of plankton an then read the Vcc on CPLD.

Pics will be appreciated

eslapion wrote:2- I won't go to 7V as this would destroy the DRAM chips.

All memory datasheets that I found declare a "Recommended Operating Conditions" 5V+-10% ( from 4,5V to 5,5V) with 7V of "Absolute Maximum Ratings",so I never run up over 5,25V for TTL or 5,5V for RAMs, as 3,6V for your CPLD....

It's strange that if the C64 is yours one you don't reach at "Absolute Maximum Ratings" but you want stay deep inside of "Recommended Operating Conditions"....

May be that now I am a little bit malicious, but now we have to wait the evidence of your test

eslapion
ultimate expander

Postby eslapion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:17 pm

MCes wrote:5.25V is the limit of the TTL chip, not of the board: feed the C64 Vcc line to read 5,25V on pin 14-28 of plankton an then read the Vcc on CPLD.

There are 3 different types of ICs on the standard breadbin C64; TTL (all 74LSxx), CMOS (DRAM and color SRAM) and NMOS (all 65xx). All 3 have different characteristics.

All memory datasheets that I found declare a "Recommended Operating Conditions" 5V+-10% ( from 4,5V to 5,5V) with 7V of "Absolute Maximum Ratings",so I never run up over 5,25V for TTL or 5,5V for RAMs, as 3,6V for your CPLD....

It's strange that if the C64 is yours one you don't reach at "Absolute Maximum Ratings" but you want stay deep inside of "Recommended Operating Conditions"....

There is only one type on PLAnkton... that's why. Since this IC is still available and in production, I had the luxury of running destructive tests... I believe I already mentioned that.

May be that now I am a little bit malicious, but now we have to wait the evidence of your test
Pics will be appreciated

I am your humble servant... I will deliver, as I did with the photos of the VIC-20 a few weeks ago.

The only unpleasant part of your request is fitting my lab PSU to a hacked C64 PSU so I can adjust the 5V to the desired level. Otherwise, it's all too easy.

Floopy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Postby Floopy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:59 pm

:roll:
-Floopy

eslapion
ultimate expander

Postby eslapion » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm

MCes wrote:5.25V is the limit of the TTL chip, not of the board: feed the C64 Vcc line to read 5,25V on pin 14-28 of plankton an then read the Vcc on CPLD.

My power supply (which I used at the WoC in december) provides 5.12V on the 5Vdc line. Once past the power filter, the voltage measurable on the 250466 assy is 5.05V and the CPLD on PLAnkton get 3.69V. You have to wait for at least 10 minutes for that to stabilise - the power consumption of a VIC-20/C64/C128 varies with temperature.

I raised the 5Vdc line by attaching it to my Xantrex lab PSU and setting it to 5.34V and this resulted in a measurable 5.25V on the 250466 after 10 mins. At that point the CPLD gets 3.84V. That's still 160mV below 4V.

Pics will be appreciated

I have to take care of something much more important... http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?96 ... TOLB-combo

Return to “Other Systems”