Tips on moving to Linux?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Tips on moving to Linux?

Post by ral-clan »

Hi guys,

I'm sticking with Windows XP for a while yet as it has several applications I really like and it supports some older hardware (graphics tablet, pro music card) I need to keep running.
However, I'm considering my upgrade path for when I am finally forced to leave Windows XP in the future. I'd prefer to not have to use Windows 7 or 8.

So for the first time I am very seriously considering Linux. I would like to start by dipping my toe into Linux with the aim of eventually make it my day-to-day OS in a few years. In order to ease myself into it, I'd like to set up a dual boot Windows XP / Linux system and slowly migrate as much of my work as possible over to Linux as I get used to it. My computer is an older Windows XP era box: Intel Pentium4 running at 2.8Ghz, hyperthreading CPU with 3GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive.

I know very little about Linux, so am grateful for all recommendations and answers to the following questions:

1. What type of Linux would be the most widely compatible and still good on a system from about 8 years ago (specs above)?
2. For my purposes (gradual immersion), should I create a partition on the 160GB hard drive for Linux, or buy a 32GB or 64GB USB stick and install on that?
3. Any tips or good guides on creating a dual boot system?
5. Any tips on creating a Linux partition on a hard drive WITHOUT having to destroy and re-install the XP partition that already exists there (i.e. Swissknife?)?
6. Any complications or pitfalls I need to watch out for on a dual boot system?
7. Are all Linux strains compatible? I don't want to be stuck with a Linux branch that can't run common binaries.
8. In future, will I always need a Windows XP partition to run my legacy Windows XP applications, or is Wine under Linux good enough now?

The things I am going to miss most are the EXCELLENT (truly outstanding) quality of WinVICE and WinUAE emulators on Windows. These are 99.8% perfect emulators. I've heard the quality of Commodore emulation is not quite as good under Linux (emulators not as well developed). For instance, I push WinUAE quite hard, running intensive Amiga graphics and 3d rendering packages and timing-critical MIDI software. It performs like a champ.

I also have a semi-pro PCI audio card (M-Audio Delta 192) which I use for music composing. It's a high quality, low latency card and I hope there have been Linux drivers for it.

I'm also really going to miss Sony Vegas non-linear video editing software, for which I paid $100. It's superb. Is there something equivalent on Linux?

Thanks for any input you have...
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Tips on moving to Linux?

Post by English Invader »

The great thing about Linux distros is that you don't have to install them on your HD. You can run them from a USB stick and you'll get more or less the same functionality.

If you're running an old PC like me (1.6 Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD), a lot of the top end Linux stuff won't be available but there are still plenty of distros that cater for older systems (just off the top of my head; Wary Puppy, Damn Small Linux (DSL) and LXLE (a low spec version of Ubuntu)).

The following video is also worth watching. It's long, but it points out a few important 101s before you start using Linux including:

1) open source doesn't necessarily mean free; it just means you're allowed to see the source code

2) you can't modify any source code without the owners consent

3) Linux is only free if you don't use it for commercial purposes

4) Linux is only good if you have specific jobs you want it to do and Windows is still the way to go if you want a jack of all trades OS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gCwCOhMcog
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Linux is only free if you don't use it for commercial purposes
BS
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

English Invader wrote:The great thing about Linux distros is that you don't have to install them on your HD. You can run them from a USB stick and you'll get more or less the same functionality.

If you're running an old PC like me (1.6 Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD), a lot of the top end Linux stuff won't be available but there are still plenty of distros that cater for older systems (just off the top of my head; Wary Puppy, Damn Small Linux (DSL) and LXLE (a low spec version of Ubuntu)).

The following video is also worth watching. It's long, but it points out a few important 101s before you start using Linux including:

1) open source doesn't necessarily mean free; it just means you're allowed to see the source code

2) you can't modify any source code without the owners consent

3) Linux is only free if you don't use it for commercial purposes

4) Linux is only good if you have specific jobs you want it to do and Windows is still the way to go if you want a jack of all trades OS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gCwCOhMcog
I guess you are jocking, anyway:

1) open source means free: even if somebody sells it (rightfully or not) the source must always be available for free.
2) false: anybody can modify open source and can even distribute it, you just need to quote the original developer.
3) I've been using linux in my company for 15 years for free, totally. I know many other companies that do the same.
4) this can be debated but in general it's not true: common uses including web browsing, email reading, etc. are usually must easier and faster on linux (the apps are the same, anyway...). I have examples of both newbies and advanced users who can confirm. You'll prefer windows if you must run a program which doesn't work in wine or if you are used to windows; if you start from scratch linux is much more coherent and simple.

Finally "If you're running an old PC like me (1.6 Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD), a lot of the top end Linux stuff won't be available" not true again: ubuntu and all the most used linux distributions can run fine on 512MB (we cannot say the same for windows XP onwards). What clogs it is the browser or other memory intensive apps, which are the same on all distros.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

I'm new to Linux myself. Just started using Puppy Linux via USB to go online and I have found compatibility issues with some distros. I have two laptops with similar specs and both of them respond differently to Linux.

The laptop I'm using ATM has a non PAE (Physical Address Extension) CPU which stops it from running current versions of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint etc. so I have to look for distros that don't require PAE.

My other laptop has PAE, but also has USB 1.1 ports which means I can't boot from USB without special software and the high end Linux stuff often crashes while booting up and, when that happens, the only way I can turn the power off to reboot is by pulling out the battery which I don't like doing.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

open source means free: even if somebody sells it (rightfully or not) the source must always be available for free.
not at all - it entirely depends on the license of course. BSD license for example allows you to do pretty much whatever you want with the source, including using it in your own commercial closed source software.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

groepaz wrote:
open source means free: even if somebody sells it (rightfully or not) the source must always be available for free.
not at all - it entirely depends on the license of course. BSD license for example allows you to do pretty much whatever you want with the source, including using it in your own commercial closed source software.
It's the same I'm saying: software which is opensource must be available as source for free.
What you build upon it may not, but that's a different story, and changes based on the type of license.
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

English Invader wrote:I'm new to Linux myself. Just started using Puppy Linux via USB to go online and I have found compatibility issues with some distros. I have two laptops with similar specs and both of them respond differently to Linux.

The laptop I'm using ATM has a non PAE (Physical Address Extension) CPU which stops it from running current versions of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint etc. so I have to look for distros that don't require PAE.

My other laptop has PAE, but also has USB 1.1 ports which means I can't boot from USB without special software and the high end Linux stuff often crashes while booting up and, when that happens, the only way I can turn the power off to reboot is by pulling out the battery which I don't like doing.
Well, i have use Windows 7 since Okt 2010, not a single error in that time. I haven't even reinstall my OS in that time. Just switch power on and it works. And for add ons, just plug it in and run. Even if we don't like Microsoft (i don't), Win 7 is a great and stable OS.

I used both Mandriva, Ubuntu and Puppy Linux (and XP) before Windows 7. None of them worked as good as Win 7. Linux was always a question of finding drivers and alternatives to Windows apps. Sometimes i used Wine to run Windows appz, the few who really worked.

Linux is a good OS, but it's really nothing for just "run and go" for the typical noob. At least not if you are about to use typical Windows appz and Windows add ons.

And if some hardcore Linux users even claim that Linux is easier then Windows to use, don't belive them, because it's not true. The part in the forum for solving typical Linux problems was always heavily trafficed. Take those words from the former Ubuntu moderator in a swedish Ubuntu forum. ;)
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

Yeah, Win7 is very stable. I have yet to bluescreen it after 3 1/2 yrs, including having my kids throw my laptop on the floor *while on*. Lubuntu works really well on the older computer I put it on at work. So I'd vote in favour of it.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

ral-clan wrote:1. What type of Linux would be the most widely compatible and still good on a system from about 8 years ago (specs above)?
Most any Linux distro. If your old PC can handle XP without issue, it will run a little better with Linux.
ral-clan wrote:2. For my purposes (gradual immersion), should I create a partition on the 160GB hard drive for Linux, or buy a 32GB or 64GB USB stick and install on that?
I suggest trying the "live" distros here first. Find one that works for *you*.
ral-clan wrote:3. Any tips or good guides on creating a dual boot system?
A live distro will do that for you. Even on the same disk.
ral-clan wrote:5. Any tips on creating a Linux partition on a hard drive WITHOUT having to destroy and re-install the XP partition that already exists there (i.e. Swissknife?)?
BTW, you skipped #4, so will I. :P See answer #3.
ral-clan wrote:6. Any complications or pitfalls I need to watch out for on a dual boot system?
Well... if it just doesn't work. If you are concerned and (like me) want insurance, I use SystemRescueCd... another "live" Linux distro, but designed for hardware trouble-shooting and the such. Partimage is an awfully good disk imaging for backup/restore/resize operations.
ral-clan wrote:7. Are all Linux strains compatible? I don't want to be stuck with a Linux branch that can't run common binaries.
Yes, but distros may align themselves with different software packaging methods, i.e., Red Hat Fedora is mainly RPM and (last I knew) Ubuntu is Debian-based. Your mainstream distros will have essentially the same packages available, so it's all about their own brand of "integration" and your choice of "desktop".
ral-clan wrote:8. In future, will I always need a Windows XP partition to run my legacy Windows XP applications, or is Wine under Linux good enough now?
Always an excellent question, Wine is fabulous, but also don't expect miracles. Dosbox runs every DOS game out there.
ral-clan wrote:The things I am going to miss most are the EXCELLENT (truly outstanding) quality of WinVICE and WinUAE emulators on Windows.
IMO, Stella, UME, and VICE on Linux is better. WinUAE is the better, however, the ageless e-uae on Linux does *everything* I need out of Amiga emulation, although I am likely an exception as I will chain -cfg and have even hacked in its source code. :/
ral-clan wrote:I also have a semi-pro PCI audio card (M-Audio Delta 192) which I use for music composing. It's a high quality, low latency card and I hope there have been Linux drivers for it.
I would be surprised if you don't find what you need, out-of-the-box so to speak. I've done countless Windows installs from 3.1 to 8.1, and it's never been anywhere close to plug&play with the hardware mixture out there. As far as Windows "friendliness" and running "flawlessly", well, I don't kick puppies, but suffice it to say that the M$ fanboys probably never saw their mother install any Windows on bare metal, and had to intervene on more than one occasion when Mom wanted to do something more on her PC than Internet Explorer and Solitaire. M$ existence has made me a great deal of money, and not because of its "wonderfulness", enough said.
ral-clan wrote:I'm also really going to miss Sony Vegas non-linear video editing software, for which I paid $100. It's superb. Is there something equivalent on Linux?
There are many multimedia editing packages, both free as in beer and choice. I don't know of *any* that may be the all-in-one software you are likely accustomed to. I use a variety, including command-line only, to get what is needed done. I can only tell you that any personal investment you make into Linux, you will get more out of that than what you pay for in shrink-wrapped software. Keep in mind Linux owes you nothing, and Windows is sold AS-IS. Enjoy your journey.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

It's the same I'm saying: software which is opensource must be available as source for free.
What you build upon it may not, but that's a different story, and changes based on the type of license.
no and no. there is/was tons of opensource commercial unix software where source is only available to customers. there is even opensource windows stuff available from microsoft for paying customers. "open source" does in no way imply "free" at all.

c*base for the c64 for example was open source too - for paying customers of course =) or CCGMS.
VICE on Linux is better.
indeed - the windows UI is severely broken and has no active maintainer either - linux is the primary development platform these days.
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

The drawback using Linux is always sound and graphics. There's plenty of good utility apps on Linux but you'll miss the professional software as Cubase, Lightroom and Samplitude for exemple. The ones you can download for free is for the most far from the professional apps found on both Windows and OS-X. If you want to play the latest games from EA or other bigger developers, Linux is for the most out of the question.

There's probably more viruses available out there for Windows then it it programs available for Linux. (use avast and antimalwarebytes great apps) ;)

Linux has it's charm and it is a good operating system, yet quite limited because of most things and add ons is made for Windows and MAC.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

You sound bitter. You must have had a bad personal experience. When was the last time you tried a distro? I've been dual-booting Windows/Linux on PC hardware since 1995. I later dunped Windows entirely from "bare metal", because as one of the beta-testers of a thing called VMware Workstation 1.0 came out for my dual PIII in 2000. But since the hardware in question here is a bit older, I suspect a VM session running XP is out of the question, perhaps not.
If you want to play the latest games from EA or other bigger developers, Linux is for the most out of the question.
... that includes XP if you missed the point and most things called personal computers. That's why there is a better experience, platform, and market called a gaming console for those bigger developers. :roll:
... quite limited because of most things and add ons is made for Windows and MAC.
:?: And what's a MAC, and what's that got to do with any of this? I thought this thread was about moving to Linux on a personal computer. Why are you trolling opinions with most of it being misinformed?
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Robert. :)

I was moderator in the Ubuntu forum for about a year. Most of the people in there was real hardcore Linux users, impossible to discuss with and most of them really loved Richard Stallman. After a long period of hate against everything except Linux i got tired of being moderator. When i watched some of them in action on Software Freedom Day in Stockholm...i understood why.

Notice the irony when the swedish slogan for Ubuntu was, "Linux för vanliga människor", i translate it to english. "Linux for ordinary people"

Now...that's irony on a high level.

I even started a swedish forum for Puppy Linux and wrote the swedish article on Wikipedia. I really tried to like both Mandriva, Ubuntu and Puppy Linux but missed so many vital programs that i must use. I missed so much of software that was Windows only.
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

As i said in a Linux forum, you don't run an OS, you run programs.

There's still nothing to tuch a top spec PC for gaming, not even PS4, but it ain't cheap.

What i mean is that most add ons is made for Windows and MAC, it's not Linux fault if you get problems when buying Windows and OS-X add ons. Software and drivers will be there, but not for Linux. I couldn't even get my wireless to work in Puppy Linux after countless of tries and forum threads. Then i gave up. And when i bought a new mobile and camera, neither of them worked in Linux.
Attachments
PuppySverige.jpg
PuppySverige.jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Puppyklar.jpg
Puppyklar.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

rhurst wrote:
ral-clan wrote:The things I am going to miss most are the EXCELLENT (truly outstanding) quality of WinVICE and WinUAE emulators on Windows.
IMO, Stella, UME, and VICE on Linux is better. WinUAE is the better, however, the ageless e-uae on Linux does *everything* I need out of Amiga emulation, although I am likely an exception as I will chain -cfg and have even hacked in its source code. :/
This looks like an interesting distro:
http://scottjarvis.com/page105.htm

Retro gaming's answer to Steam OS.