Sord for sale

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Sord for sale

Post by carlsson »

Re: Tradera, here's something rather uncommon for sale, a Sord M5, unfortunately in a slightly rough condition. It is one of the less familiar computers I've had a fascination for. If I found it on a flea market for ~200-300 SEK, I'd pick it up but I can't bother on the auction site. Maybe if it had been 6502 powered instead of that yucky Z80... :wink:

http://www.tradera.com/auction/Spelkonsoler/aid_8436462

It is interesting that a cable to the diskdrive is included but no drive or controller unit itself. Maybe it was broken. Six days to go, so let's see how much it goes for. I don't know how many international collectors follow these domestic auction sites.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
carlsson
Class of '6502

Luxor VEC/Fairchild Channel-F

Post by carlsson »

Another Tradera auction, for a Luxor Video Entertainment Computer, internationally known as Channel-F and in Germany SABA. I think those three systems are compatible/identical. As you may know, Channel-F was the first cartridge based system, before the Atari 2600 VCS but of course more crude.

http://www.tradera.com/auction/TV_Spel/aid_8565156

What boggles me are the controllers. I used to own one of those - absolutely terrible to play games with. Only the fire by slamming the knob was useful. Since I used it with my VIC and 64, it obviously adhered to the "Atari standard", which I thought was invented with the 2600. The picture also suggests so.

I know that Channel-F appeared in two versions, one with built in and one with loose controllers, but could it be so that the second version actually used (stole?) the interface from Atari who just had released their console? Maybe I should look up the video game history a little more, because this baffled me a lot. Was the Luxor and SABA consoles electronically different from the original and only played the same games?
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Sord for sale

Post by Jeff-20 »

carlsson wrote:Re: Tradera, here's something rather uncommon for sale, a Sord M5, unfortunately in a slightly rough condition. It is one of the less familiar computers I've had a fascination for.
This came out in America as the TOMY TUTOR. I had two and sold both on ebay. One was new in the box with a dozen games. It was an interesting system; I just have too much to keep everything.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'm afraid you mix two to the look similar machines. Tomy Tutor was TMS99xx based while the Sord is Z80 based. Both however are cousins to MSX and TI99 (woo, big family there) and use the same graphics chip.
Anders Carlsson

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Hey, I recognize the bidder... That guy without the original vic20 PSU! ;)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mobsie
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Mobsie »

Hello,

i have one SABA. It's very stuppid.

But my favorite System is the Creativision from VTech. Before i take my VC-20 i have seen this system by an local dealer in my town.

He has the Creativision system with disk drive, with 64kb expansion and with assembler. It was very funy to see what this system can do.

But some weeks later when i want to buy, the system was from market.
And now i search for vears to find the disk drive, it is later produced from another firm. Its a great system that have no chance in the big crash.

cheers
Mobsie
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

On the AtariAge forums, in the homebrew, programming section there are couple of people planning to write some new games for the Channel-F, and if they figure out how to manufacture a cartridge (apparently technically more difficult than other systems), some new titles may appear.
Anders Carlsson

idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

Boray wrote:Hey, I recognize the bidder... That guy without the original vic20 PSU! ;)
Ha, yes, I found that one courtesy of my little brother. Lost out in the end, though.
I'd like to get a SORD since it uses the SN76489 sound chip. It looks nice, too.
Still, what I'd really like to get is one of those "I'M A SORD HACKER" T-shirts. If you've got any old Allt om hemdatorer magazines, you'll know what I'm talking about. ;-)
C128, C128D, C64, C64C, ABC80, ABC800, ABC806, 130XE, ZX81, Spectrum 48k, Dragon 32, TI99/4A, Laser 200, Spectravideo 328, Sord M5, VIC20...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yep, I know exactly which t-shirt you're referring to. On the picture is a big pile of books too?
Anders Carlsson

idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

carlsson wrote:Yep, I know exactly which t-shirt you're referring to. On the picture is a big pile of books too?
Yes, ranging from user manuals to psychology literature. =)
C128, C128D, C64, C64C, ABC80, ABC800, ABC806, 130XE, ZX81, Spectrum 48k, Dragon 32, TI99/4A, Laser 200, Spectravideo 328, Sord M5, VIC20...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Various Tradera auctions

Post by carlsson »

Funny auction #1 of the week:

http://www.tradera.com/auction/Spelkons ... d_10578046
Translation of the important stuff wrote:atari console.clasic!!
atari game console with two hand controllers and about 50 games. the whole console is a keyboard which you connect to your TV and then you play with joystics. it used to work half a year ago and has been in the closet since then. a cult game console.
Addition to the description: the model is atari 520ST and only two games are on originals. i am sorry for counting wrong, there are only about 20 games which are not originals and two originals.
So he's selling an Atari 520ST(FM?) computer as a game console "with a keyboard". :) One can hope he still has all the power and other leads for the buyer to receive.

Funny auction #2 of the week:

http://www.tradera.com/auction/Spelkons ... d_10684117

He's selling his old 26" TV as a video game console rather than a TV (which there is a separate section for). :D
Anders Carlsson