PS3 is here :)

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I feel an informal poll coming on... What newer gaming systems does everyone have? I have a PS3, OUYA, and I guess Gamecube and PS2 should be included.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I have a 360 (for games - the Bioshocks, the Portals, Rock Band, Deus Ex HR, Dishonored, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, LA Noire), a PS3 (for netflix/Amazon instant/blu ray) and a Wii (for Wii fit. it's been sitting unused for four years).
I'll probably get a XBOne when a few games come around. I prefer the XB controller to the PS; that's really the distinguishing factor for me, since the games I play tend to be multiplatform.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

PS1, PS2, PS3 & PSP. I guess I'm a Playstation guy, never did care for XBox.

I have a couple Wiis that I soft modded to play the old NES and SNES games, I don't play many Wii games, can't find any that are any good.
Ray..
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I have pretty much every system in the mainstream market up to sixth generation. I regard the Sega Dreamcast as the last retro system and consider everything after that as contemporary. The contemporary systems I have are:

PS2
XBox (I use this mostly to watch DVDs and I also have a modded XBox to run MAME and Neo Geo emulators)
GameCube
DS (the only reason I have this is because it was a hand-me-down from someone who never used it; there are some great retro themed titles, though)

I also keep toying with the idea of buying a PSP. I've seen them going for as little as £35 and I love my handhelds.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

buzbard wrote:I don't play many Wii games, can't find any that are any good.
How about Metroid Prime Trilogy? :P
yellow_lantern
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by yellow_lantern »

My newest systems are a Sega CD and PC Engine Duo-R.
We miss Miki.
Looking for a Commodore 16
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Not including computers (i.e. Amiga) then the newest console I own would be the NES - and for some reason even that feels too "new" to me for my retro collection. I only have it because some of the arcade conversions are almost perfect, otherwise I have not emotional attachment to the NES.

But, I will admit, my wife bought a Wii a few years ago and I guess that's the family system now. Again, I don't play it much, but I've warmed to it more than the NES (I really like the realistic looking driving games).

Seriously, I think until there is some sort of immersive 3d gaming console, then the Wii will be advanced enough for me. I'll probably pick up a few used games for it now and then when they really start to drop in price and show up at Thrift stores.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

I used to get excited about new gaming hardware but not so much anymore. The last system I was truly excited about, the last one that made me feel like a kid at Christmas again, was the PSP. I've still got it and still play it.

Our PS3, 360, Wii, and 3DS were all resold within a year of purchase. They didn't hold our attention and I've seen no reason why the latest round of systems would do any better. Most of my interests in new games can be satisfied via Steam and Android, so I really don't have a need for any of the new consoles.

So... it's a little sad to be a cranky old man that is no longer excited about the latest and greatest consoles. On the other hand, I'm still having a great time gaming with both new and old games. I guess if Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft made something I had to own I would line up with everyone else to buy it, but for now I don't see anything I need.

I keep looking and hoping, though :D
JagMod
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by JagMod »

I have an OUYA.
Making a few games for it currently.

Still trying to decide between a PS4 and XBox 1.
JagMod
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The midnight release of the PS4 happened tonight. I can't imagine being excited about that. I guess I became a grumpy old man somewhere just after Sega Genesis. The CD era represents a gradual decrease in my interest.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: PS3 is here :)

Post by buzbard »

I haven't jumped into the PS4 fire yet either. Maybe later if a new PS4 God of War is released.

I'm ok with the CD era, I just don't care for the "download only" systems. When your storage starts getting full you have to decide, what do I delete now? Then later when you don't want the game anymore you can't take it to the game shops like GameStop to trade it in, although that's not a good thing either, seems like they only give you about 10% of the value you paid for it.

Jeeez, gaming is a lose/lose situation isn't it?
Ray..
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: PS3 is here :)

Post by English Invader »

The other problem with download only consoles is that you can only buy games for as long as the company provides online support which allows the company to pretty much wipe out the used games market and stop people from enjoying a system after they discontinue the product.

This reminds me of Microsoft's plan to put registration codes on games. It's that kind of cynicism that stops the video game industry from progressing. Instead of looking for ways to sabotage the opposition, these companies should focus their energies on developing innovative products that people genuinely want; the sort of consoles that make people think "I don't want to play old PS1 games anymore. I want a PS2".