Two VIC-20 Releases for Gubbdata 2017 ...

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Two VIC-20 Releases for Gubbdata 2017 ...

Post by Mike »

... by Mermaid/GP: splorf_the_hero.zip and castle__-mermaid.zip as found on scene.org in "/other_gfx" and "/other_music".

"Castle" was most probably done in Aleksi Eeben's Picasso, and provided as executable file for unexpanded VIC-20. It made #2 in the compo.

"Splorf the Hero" won the "Other platform music"-compo. :) Also for unexpanded VIC-20.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. Post placed in "Collecting and History", as "General Topics" doesn't allow for attachments.
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Two VIC-20 Releases for Gubbdata 2017 ...

Post by Wilson »

Mermaid's work is truly inspiring. It's great to see another Vic-20 release from her.
Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

I will have to try these out later, I'm always exited to see how people write this software.
-Floopy
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Floopy wrote:I will have to try these out later, I'm always exited to see how people write this software.
For everyone who is interested to take a peek at the "Castle" picture within Picasso, I have converted the *.prg file back to Picasso format.

The picture consists of two files, "0CASTLE" and "1CASTLE", which contain the bitmap plus VIC register dump, and the colour RAM, respectively. The disk image contains the picture bundled with the paint program. You'll need at least a +3K RAM expansion:

castle.zip

To load the picture into Picasso, press Shift-L and type CASTLE (*without* the preceding digit) at the file prompt. Alternatively, use the included viewer with SYS820.

Greetings,

Michael
Floopy
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Floopy »

Thanks!
I wish I had the super-expander or the penultimate so I could try it on my real VIC. :(
-Floopy
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Floopy wrote:I wish I had the super-expander or the penultimate so I could try it on my real VIC. :(
In the meanwhile, emulation with VICE on a PC is a perfectly legit way to proceed with the files.

With real h/w, you'd anyhow either have to transfer the storage images to a floppy disk first, implying use of a 15xx disk drive + one of the X-cables + PC; or you'd use one of the plethora of SD2IEC hardware, with the *.prg or *.d64 simply put on a SD card.

Most of us Denial fellows have the necessary h/w available to view the works on their VIC-20(s), but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd always take it out of the corner when a new prod is there. More likely, the prod is first tried out in VICE; later (most preferably on rainy days or weekends :lol:), the VIC-20 gets its time.

Same applies to development. Most of it nowadays happens on the PC (exceptions like Jeff confirm the rule) - and likewise did I extract the Picasso files for the "Castle" picture on my PC.

Of course, the real hardware still is the reference. Emulation alone would be pointless without it.