CR board Assembly number 251037

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

CR board Assembly number 251037

Post by oldcomputr »

Hi all,
I'm trying to compare the two cr boards, assembly numbers 251037 and 250403. On the 250403 the traces seem a bit more "hand drawn", slightly more precise than the traces on the 251037. All the components are identical at first sight.

On the back, my 251037 has two wires (a short one on the game i/o - control port and a longer one connecting a pin of the cartridge port to another place on the pcb).

But since I have many 250403 but just one 251037, I don't know if those wires came from a repair, a patch made by the previous owner, or it came like that out of the production facility.

Can someone verify that?

I can give you a hint so you don't have to unscrew every screw just to check the assembly number on the back of the motherboard. Look at U13, just bottom left of the cartridge port: if the traces above U13 are slightly curved, it should be a 250403; if they are straight, it should be a 251037.

If you find the wire(s), please post a picture. I want proof! :-D

Thanks!
watz
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: CR board Assembly number 251037

Post by watz »

Just in case someone is still interested, here are some images of my board which happens to have that specific assy number:

I was also wondering about these two wires. Looks like this is a factory delivered fix ;-) The heatsinks, kernal ROM replacement and many of the sockets have of course been installed by myself.

I got this "Made in Germany" V(I)C-20 from Austria in an extraordinary bad shape. The seller said that it was sitting in a moist basement for decades. The datasette and video modulator had a thick layer of blooming rust in them. I've cleaned the VIC board in ordinary water, replaced most of the rusty sockets, a broken bus driver and the dead kernal ROM. The keyboard also works again, after removing cotton like blooms of white rust from its board below the keys. Believe it or not, even the datasette is working again ;-)