Early Vic 20 silver label findings

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

M pro
Vic 20 Newbie

Early Vic 20 silver label findings

Post by M pro »

So I've done a little bit of research regarding early VIC 20s and later Vic 20s and their gold logos
And I believe like the Commodore 64 there was also Silver Label VIC 20

To back this up I've just received 2 early US VIC 20s

One was a bit rough and the other one is in very very good condition.

Rough ones SN "54716"
Good ones SN "28273"

What I noticed was that the power badge on the rough looking vic-20 was silver which would mean that the Commodore badge would also be silver but sadly this was missing from the Vic

Now I've received in the past a Silver Label Commodore 64 that looks like a gold label Commodore 64 because the plastic coating on the logo had gone a brownie colour overtime which made it look gold.

Now the Very good condition early Vic 20 I received also has a protective coating on both the Commodore logo and the power logo.
You can really see the protective coating on the black of the main logo

I have also been able to pop the power badge off and indeed there is a plastic covering over it that I can just lift the edge of but I will not remove it as it’s a very original early Vic.

These really old badges can be identified by their concaved edges on the main badge and power badge, later on Commodore moved over to a flat gold badge design.

Later flat gold power badge

Early silver concaved power badge with gold/brown plastic protective cover

So I believe all early US Vic 20's could indeed be Silver labels with a gold/brown plastic protective cover?

Has anyone looked into this before?

And to end a Pic of the very nice Vic 20 with Pet keyboard

Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Early Vic 20 silver label findings

Post by Muzz73 »

My son has a silver label VIC-20 which, I believe, is the first year of production. Can anyone confirm this?

I'll try to get pics posted soon.
BCNU,
Louis
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Early Vic 20 silver label findings

Post by Kakemoms »

I have a silver label Vic 20, made in Japan and produced 3/81 (March 1981). It has a FCC waiver since it was sold in the US before August 1981 at which point Commodore got the FCC certification. There is no plastic cover on my labels, but they could have worn away over the years..