VIC 20 Mini boxes - state your interest

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

VIC 20 Mini boxes - state your interest

Post by oldcomputr »

Hi all!
You know I have a VIC 20 book on Kickstarter (Denial thread here), but even if you're not interested in the book I think I have something nice for any serious VIC 20 collector! Here's a mock-up that I printed, cutted and assembled;

Here's the description of the reward from my last campaign update:

Do you have all of your VIC 20 carts in a shoe box or in a drawer? This reward is for you! This is a kit with the mini boxes of all the 37 carts in the 19xx series plus 6 utilities carts: three RAM expansions (3K, 8K, 16K), Programmer's Aid, Machine Language Monitor (VICMON), Super Expander + 3K RAM, for a total of 44 different boxes (the rare Japanese releases are excluded: Pac-man, Rally-X, Galaxian, Super Expander).

Cartridges not included :-)

I asked for a couple of quotes; a printing house can do small quantities by digital printing the boxes on 300gr/mq heavy paper. I can offer this kit for 49€ + shipping. But - yes, there's a "but" - I have to print at least 100 kits. It will be available with the book or as a single reward.

Please tell me if you're willing to buy the kit, because I can only make it available if we reach at least 70 kits. If you're a backer, please don't reply both here and on the campaign update so I won't count you twice.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: VIC 20 Mini boxes - state your interest

Post by mrr19121970 »

Interesting idea. I am thinking it over.

What about new boxes for the vic20 ??
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

mrr19121970 wrote:What about new boxes for the vic20 ??
I second that. VIC boxes are much rarer than Commodore carts', and you could design a small version of them (i.e., only for the keyboard w/out polys). They'd be rather popular: I'd buy at least two. But I guess size would be an issue, as the unfolded box would need printing on A0 or A1 paper.
oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by oldcomputr »

I have thought many times about new boxes for the VIC 20 and C64. No polys, all made in cardboard; I have one supplier at work that is perfect for the job.
I already have some ideas for the outside, but I still need to design the inside of the box to keep the VIC/64 (with two "breadbin" case sizes) in place, along with the various types of PSUs and accessories.

But as usual everything comes down to the cost of printing, cutting and shipping the box. I have to think of a "foldable" design so I could ship more than one box at a time, flattened. It will probably be a box more like the US one.

Since it will be made on request in small batches, there will be no need for a crowdfunding campaign on this project. I could develop this project when I've finished the book, so probably at the end of the year.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Great! Count me in for some :) .
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Me too. I will need alot. At least 5 vic20 and 5 c64 on 1st order
cvga
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by cvga »

Those look fantastic. I would buy a set.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That's a really cool idea!
I do have a lot of original boxes though, so am not likely to be a customer.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com