NTSC VC20 ???

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

NTSC VC20 ???

Post by mrr19121970 »

I just picked up a "cib" vc20 with metal badge. Like new from the 1st owner. One thing that puzzled me was the brand new never opened English handbook. Next the fact it had 2 psu (one with a usa plug the other with an eu plug). When I plugged it in the image was NTSC and confirmed by the 6560 vic-I chip.

so the question is how is this possible. Vc20 was only for the german market. The original owner hasn't got a clue and can't explain other than it was bought new and has been in the cupboard for 30 years or more.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: NTSC VC20 ???

Post by Boray »

Explanation a: The seller is lying

Explanation b: The seller has a weak memory

Explanation c: special german made vic-20 for testing games for the american market.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

I don't know. The seller has gone quiet. I bought a CIB C64 and VIC20 from him. The C64 was DOA, and now he won't respond.

One thing which is unique here is the 110v/220v switching PSU (wedge form) dated Mai 1983 (the German for May)
mrr19121970 wrote:Dated May 1983. Anyone ever seen one of these before ??

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Never seen one of those. Quite unique as you can't modify that brick (its solid plastic inside!). Probably a demo unit for showing new US games in Germany (maybe for a Hannover messe event).
aphexian
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aphexian »

Interestingly enough, I have a boxed C64 that otherwise looks like a European PAL machine, has a West German serial number, and is otherwise in mint untouched condition. The thing is, its actually an NTSC machine internally just like you say. The reason I say this, is because the power supply that came with this particular machine is identical to the one you pictured. It is switchable between 110 and 220, despite having a europlug style plug on the cable. You can see a few pics of this machine at my friends site, http://www.n8ie.com/palc64.htm (he wrote the page before I discovered the machine was actually NTSC) I too would like to eventually figure out how such a machine as this could possibly exist. My only guess so far is that these machines may have been produced to sell to american military members serving at European bases. The box for my machine has a sticker on the side declaring it was shipped by the military at one point, likely when it came overseas to America where I found it. -Mitchell
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Well In Frankfurt there were at least 2 US military bases that I know of. Additionally Frankfurt Hahn was also the main flight artery into Europe as far as I know.

A lot of the military bases had retail outlets that were also open to the General public where you could buy in US$ and pay US prices. Could be this, or also the military association with allied troups.

Like I mentioned, the seller sold me a duff C64 and won't respond to mails anymore. This is a shame as I'd really liked to have more details on the history.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

I also received a 1541 from this guy too. Didn't pay much attention at the time. At the weekend when I was trying to tidy up my workshop I moved my pile of 1541s and noticed that this one too is different from the others. It also has a 220v/110v switching PSU too. I should also look closer at the C64 too.