VIC 20 book on Kickstarter

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: VIC 20 book on Kickstarter

Post by oldcomputr »

About my English knowledge: all the texts of the book will be read and corrected by an English woman that lives here and tought English in high school for decades until she retired a few years ago.

My English is not perfect but rest assured that the book won't have any grammar error.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Just got the PDF. Looks great and contains a lot more information than I expected. I look forward to receiving the real thing and thanks very much for the digital version :D .
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

Fantastic!!

Just received my pdf link as well.

The quality of the photographs and the presentation as a whole are top notch! Truly a professional effort!

If you were on the fence about this project, I do not think you could ever be disappointed with the end result if you were/are a VIC fan. This was my first ever computer as a kid, and I can say that I feel this is a wonderful nostaligic keepsake that I will treasure.

Thank you SO much Giacomo! (oldcomputr) for making this effort. So little luv has been shown to our funny little computer from 1980, but your hard work helps to make up for that a little bit.
:D

Phil
Last edited by CanadaPhil on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldxstx
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ldxstx »

I got the pdf link too and wow, incredible pages: full of info and with wonderful pics! I can see and feel all the care you took to put all the pieces of this work together. Looking forward to receive my copy on paper!

Grazie mille! :D
Enrico
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I didn't get my link yet. Was that link going to all backers?
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Giacomo, I have no words to describe how the PDF preview impressed me. Incredible work, really. I am currently trying out other 8-bit platforms, but looking at those pictures and reading the excellent texts really made me eager to resurrect my pristine VIC setup, and fire it up again - sell everything non-VIC and spend a fortune in restoring my collection. Unfortunately, it's not a good time for deals in retrocomputer stuff, and my 1010 and 1020 are long lost and gone :(. Also, I thought it would have been much more visual than textual, but I see there's plenty of info, interviews, and trivia.
Thank you so much for this. Can't wait to have the physical book in my hands!
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

ral-clan wrote:I didn't get my link yet. Was that link going to all backers?
Some reported getting their link yesterday. I received mine the middle of today.

So, I would say that they are not going out as a blanket blast but are being sent individually.

Just hang on a little. You will probably get it soon.
litody
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by litody »

I've just had chance to view the pdf in some detail on a proper a screen and agree with all the previous comments, it looks absolutely stunning.

The photography is simply incredible, a fantastic level of detail, just about the right level of geekiness in the motherboard and keyboard designs, some wonderful contributions from the development team and the cartridge artwork is simply breathtaking (Star Battle, Jupiter Lander and Road Race especially). These deserve to be framed and hung on my wall.

Can't wait to get my physical copy :D
oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by oldcomputr »

Thank you all for your appreciation!

I know that the title can be misleading, and someone can think that it's mostly a picture book. That was maybe my initial idea, but it ended to be a much more complete work about the VIC.

I stared at the "publish" button on Kickstarter for half an hour before clicking on it. The moment when I released the book to the backers it stopped to be "mine". It took life, and I broke my exclusive, daily relationship with it. Very strange feeling indeed.
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

Hi Giacomo,

Your clearly worked very hard on this so the appreciation is well deserved!

Next year, once you are rested up, you can begin Vol. 2... with a slipcase to house both books!... hahaha ;)

Seriously though, if you ever have the urge to tackle a new project for another neglected Commodore may I respectfully suggest the 128.

I believe that is actually the "first" Commodore you actually owned? I still have my pristine original (now signed on the bottom by Bil Herd himself), along with modem, 1351 mouse, 1750 Ram Expander, 1571, 1581, etc.. etc. (I used to run GEOS128, QuantumLink and my C64 floppy collection on it)

We need to show the 128 some luv now too! (Once you are rested up!)... hahaha

Well, I'm just being cheeky... But again, thank you soooooooo much for the VIC Visual History!
It's a beautiful book.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Oh, I'm envious of you guys! Still waiting for the PDF link, guess I'll just have to be patient!
Thanks Giacomo for bringing this to fruition.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by oldcomputr »

ral-clan wrote:Oh, I'm envious of you guys! Still waiting for the PDF link, guess I'll just have to be patient!
Thanks Giacomo for bringing this to fruition.
Hi, you have a PM - everyone should have received the message from kickstarter.
merman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by merman »

Well done Giacomo for reaching this point.
Having helped with the proof reading I already knew how good it was looking - now I can't wait to get my printed book.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

This looks beautiful, and I'm sorry I missed the kickstarter.
Just preordered though!
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

on Kickstarter page as of Jan. 21st

"PRINTING!"

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaay!