VIC 20 book on Kickstarter

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: VIC 20 book on Kickstarter

Post by oldcomputr »

Yes, it's printing – well, technically it's printed. Now it must be bound by an external facility.

Take a look at the movie: if you are patient enough you will see all the 70x100 sheets of the book.

;-)
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

Hi Giacomo,

Congrats on having made it to this point!

On another note, I floated the idea of making a custom version of the Behr Bonz cart in another topic to act as sort of a "companion cart" to the book.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =11&t=8358

Any thoughts on this?
oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by oldcomputr »

A quick update – I have received the books! I will start to send them out this week.

CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

Great news!

I can't wait now!

:D
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Looking forward to see the final achievement.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

I might have missed something in between... I think I remember the fundrising campaign didn't reach the goal... :| :?:
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

highinfidelity wrote:I might have missed something in between... I think I remember the fundrising campaign didn't reach the goal... :| :?:
The initial campaign fell a little short, but was tweaked a few months later and that second one succeeded.... and now here we are.

You can still order the book itself at the Kicstarter page by the looks of it. You just won't get the additional "swag" shown in the pictures.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

I see, thank you! I also pre-ordered a copy! :)
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Again I thought that the books were still being printed/bounded, or that anyway I was going to be amongst the very last buyers to receive his copy, but not without surprise I've already found my "VIC 20 A Visual History" in the mailbox! :shock:

I'm very pleased with the quality of the book: the paper is quite heavy and the prints came out very nicely, and the cover is also rock solid and well bounded. It's definitely amongs the best illustrated books that I own, a pleasure to touch and to browse. The "VIC variants" chapter is amusing. Many peripherals are described in detail and it's nice to go thorugh them; even though I'll never buy or collect most of those, they're so nicely pictured that it's a bit like owning them (well, OK, just "a bit"... :wink: )

I was a suprised by not finding the plotter in the "printers" section... I don't recall exactly, was it a 64 peripheral VIC-compatible, perhaps? I didn't own one but I remember there was one at school, in the pretentiously called "IT classroom"...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

highinfidelity wrote: I was a suprised by not finding the plotter in the "printers" section... I don't recall exactly, was it a 64 peripheral VIC-compatible, perhaps? I didn't own one but I remember there was one at school, in the pretentiously called "IT classroom"...
The 1520? The manual is copyright 1983 so I guess you could say that puts it in the C64 peripheral list.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

highinfidelity wrote:Again I thought that the books were still being printed/bounded, or that anyway I was going to be amongst the very last buyers to receive his copy, but not without surprise I've already found my "VIC 20 A Visual History" in the mailbox! :shock:
That's probably because the orders within Italy were among the first batch to be shipped. Still haven't heard anything about the UK.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, I get the sad impression the UK is going to be last :(
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

Mayhem wrote:Yeah, I get the sad impression the UK is going to be last :(
I doubt that since I am across the Pond.

However, I did get an email saying my order has "been completed" yesterday so I assume mine is on its way.

Ummmmm.... I also assume that means Air Mail and not a slow boat around China... hahaha.

I hope mine arrives next week.
:D
oldcomputr
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by oldcomputr »

Hi all, some people ordered the book after the campaign and don't have access to the latest Kickstarter updates.
This is a summary of all the books I shipped to date:

-----------------------------------------
Feb 8: Italy (first half)
Feb 9: Italy (second half)
Feb 10: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Hungary
Feb 11: Australia
Feb 13: Denmark, Spain, Finland, Faroe Islands, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Zew Zealand, Poland, Portugal
Feb 14: Canada, Netherlands, Norway
Feb 15: France, Sweden
Feb 17: 18x UK (from A to Daniel P.) - 18x US (A to Earl B.) - 17x DE (A to Manuel B.)
Feb 18: 18x UK (from Gareth R. to Jonathan Q.) - 14x US (from Edward Y. to John H.) - 13x DE (from Marc O. to Patrice S.)
Feb 20: 17x UK* (from Keith B. to Paul K.) - 10x US* (from John M. to Mark S.) - 9x DE (completed)
Feb 21: 22x UK* (all remaining backers) - 16x US* (all remaining backers)
Feb 24: All 18 remaining packages with the cards set have been sent out to the UK and US.

* A few days ago I realized that the printing facility gave me less card set boxes than I ordered.
The rewards that include the card set will be delayed by a couple of days.

All the books have been shipped!
-----------------------------------------

Now I have to ship all the books to the UK, US and Germany, that together with Italy have the highest numbers of backers.
Some statistics: the most backers came from the UK, followed by US, IT, and DE; then Sweden, Australia and France. All the other countries have less than 10 books each.

If I get an order from the site I proceed in this way: if it belongs to a country that I have already covered, it is added to the next-day trip to the post office, otherwise it is added to the queue of the corresponding country. Anyway orders from the site are very few so they don't slow the process.

From tomorrow on, I will ship every day a few books to UK, US and DE, at least 10 for each country, ~30 each day.
This is my daily schedule:

Code: Select all

10 REM *** SHIPPING SCHEDULE ***
20 $BOOKS = 191
30 HAVE BREAKFAST
40 LOAD "CAR"
50 GOTO POST OFFICE
60 GOTO WORK
70 GOTO HOME: HAVE LUNCH
80 PREPARE SOME BOXES
90 GOTO WORK
100 GOTO HOME: HAVE DINNER
110 PREPARE SOME BOXES
120 SLEEP
130 $BOOKS = $BOOK - 30
140 IF $BOOKS > 0 THEN GOTO 20
150 PRINT "ALL BOOKS ARE SENT!"
I will run this program for another week, and then I will hibernate for the rest of the winter.

I will update this post every day.
Last edited by oldcomputr on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

It's Feb 16th, and I still have not received mine :( . Hope there's isn't a problem with Poste Italiane.. is there a way to trace the package for shipments to Italian destinations? Thanks Giacomo.