Quick Brown Fox for VIC-20

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Quick Brown Fox for VIC-20

Post by eslapion »

Has anybody ever archived the Quick Brown Fox word processor for the VIC-20?

I just realised I have it. I'm surprised to find out it is actually compatible with the Protecto 80/Data-20 display adapter and it supports 40/80 columns display modes as well as RAM expansions, including the 64k board from Data-20.
Be normal.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Quick Brown Fox for VIC-20

Post by Boray »

Cool!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Is it on diskettes? I almost got hold of a word processor for Vic-20 that had original diskettes. The only software I have heard of that came on diskettes for Vic-20. Quite rare.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Yes it is!

I guess I should scan the docs. This software is not exactly intuitive.

When you start it, it asks 0,4,8 ? Its just asking if you want the normal display, 40 col or 80 col mode. If you don't have instructions, how can you know?

@kakemons
It is on a cartridge that doesn't autostart. You start it with SYS24576 which means it is located in BLK3. This way it doesn't conflict with a 16k RAM expansion and doesn't conflict with a 80 column adapter.

There is also a tutorial cassette.
Be normal.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

eslapion wrote:Has anybody ever archived the Quick Brown Fox word processor for the VIC-20?

I just realised I have it. I'm surprised to find out it is actually compatible with the Protecto 80/Data-20 display adapter and it supports 40/80 columns display modes as well as RAM expansions, including the 64k board from Data-20.
When you say compatible with the 80 column boards, do you mean compatible by design, or by chance?
Do the manufacturers actually state / implement this compatibility? If so that's interesting - I'd like to try that as I have an 80 column board.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ral-clan wrote:When you say compatible with the 80 column boards, do you mean compatible by design, or by chance?
Do the manufacturers actually state / implement this compatibility? If so that's interesting - I'd like to try that as I have an 80 column board.
Obviously if the word processor asks you if you want a 22, 40 or 80 column display, compatibility is by design. This is confirmed by information found in the instructions.

Its even compatible with the 64k expander from Data-20 and require a small adaptation program to be typed.
Be normal.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Kakemoms wrote:Is it on diskettes? I almost got hold of a word processor for Vic-20 that had original diskettes. The only software I have heard of that came on diskettes for Vic-20. Quite rare.
Practicalc Plus (dedicated thread)
Simplicalc
Vicwriter
Vicfile

...not to mention some obscure software made by local developers, and of course contemporary releases :)
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Ah it was vicwriter and vicfile.. but I was too late to get them.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

eslapion wrote:
I guess I should scan the docs. This software is not exactly intuitive.
The docs can be found here:-

http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/appli ... cessor.pdf

They are generic instructions for both the Vic and C64. The copy is not that clean - underlined snippets and some comments - but quite legible. If you feel the need to provide a clean copy for the community then I'm sure no-one will object. :wink:

The tutorial cassette is definitely of interest.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

vicist wrote:The docs can be found here:-
There is a lot of handwritten stuff and penstrokes in this pdf. I am quite sure I can do much better than that.
Be normal.