PET keys?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: PET keys?

Post by Bobbi »

Interesting. I guess I had assumed the board would be made in the same country as the rest of the machine (US in this case.)
Imperious
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Imperious »

Nice VIC-20 Bobbi. It looks like it hasn't been used hardly since new.
If I buy another one, it will be from the States. The prices here in Australia are getting ridiculous on Ebay.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

Actually, looking at the keyboard I don't think it has ever really been used!
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

Finally got a transformer for the "new" PET-keys VIC. It works very well, except for slow reset on power up.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Bobbi wrote:The only concern I have is the slight bubbling of some of the PCB tracks / ground plane here and there.
Early VIC-20s circuit boards were manufactured using the same 70s methods as PET boards. They were suspended upside down and this caused a pooling of solder on larger solders and traces.

Nothing to worry about.

When the VIC started selling in large numbers then old methods couldn't keep up and Commodore had to modernise.
It works very well, except for slow reset on power up.
The delay capacitor for the 555 timer is dying. This machine was probably left unused for many years which means you should also replace the large power capacitor with a new one before it goes kaput and destroys everything in your machine.
Be normal.
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Forbidden64 »

Very nice! My PET vic looks exactly the same as bobbi's. It looks as though it was never used. I would have thought this was for sure, except that mine came with several notes from the original owner packed in the box, instructing various users how to load software from tape etc. Apparently, it was owned by someone in the military, and was used by several people. Even still, it is in perfect condition. It's as though they set it up, plugged in the datasette once, and then used it that way until it was packed up and stored. Not a hint of yellowing or wear on the edgeboard connectors. The seller sold it as "like new" and this was basically almost an understatement. It is in storage at the moment or I would add photos in order to add to the serial number list. Next time I am there I will try to find this unit and pull it out for a proper photo op. for all the neat little notes the owner had. I think even the receipt was included lol... In case I need to return it to K-Mart.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

This machine is so nice that I put it back in polystyrene box liner after a few hours of testing. My CR VIC-20 will remain my daily driver. The PET keys one is just to take out for special occasions :)

I will have to see where I can buy some new caps locally (Toronto.)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Bobbi wrote:This machine is so nice that I put it back in polystyrene box liner after a few hours of testing. My CR VIC-20 will remain my daily driver. The PET keys one is just to take out for special occasions :)

I will have to see where I can buy some new caps locally (Toronto.)
I have been intensely using my VIC-20 with PET keys for the last 10 years. It is incredibly sturdier than the other types.
Be normal.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

PET keys keyboard is very satisfying to type on! Good and noisy!