Gortek and the Microchips Program Listing

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

pitcalco
just pitcalco

Gortek and the Microchips Program Listing

Post by pitcalco »

Does anyone here have the program listing for the programs in Gortek and the Microchips?
I have the two-cassette-and-book box set and was playing around with it a few nights ago. Thing is, due to its age, much of the information on the cassette tape is worn off and corrupted and several of the programs do not load up correctly. It looks like they are all in BASIC. I was amazed that after playing a bit of FLOG that I got a SYNTAX ERROR IN 35789 or something like that. I LISTed 35789 to find 35789 πππππππππππππππππππππππππππππ (pi symbols) and other such crud.

I would like to retype the programs and fix the tapes, if I can find the listings.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Re: Gortek and the Microchips Program Listing

Post by pitcalco »

I suppose if someone had access to the .tap files then that would be a solution too :wink:
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I have an original box of Gortek and the microchips here.

I purchased it new and sealed. I only opened the box to take a look at the printed material. I suppose the tapes are still intact.

Its pretty much what I intended to archive after finishing with the Commodore Computer Educator albums.

Things are moving slowly since I was hospitalized from april 2014 to january 2015.

Note to moderator: This thread should be in the Collecting and History section
Be normal.
AntiPontifex
High Performance Typist

Post by AntiPontifex »

Genuinely sad, eslapion, to hear that you were hospitalized for such a long period of time.
I've been having my own health challenges lately, but they are nothing compared to that:
all the best and get well: your VIC-20 efforts are most appreciated and welcomed on this
end. They bring back a lot of childhood memories :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Thank you!
Be normal.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

You're a legend, Eslapion. Just take your time and keep me posted.
I am just happy that you are getting well again.

:)

Paul Lambert
Berlin
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

When I publish the whole Gortek on Zimmer's it will include scans of all the printed material.

In the meantime, people who would like to have the programs on the two tapes can PM me their e-mail address and I will send them to you zipped.

Thank you all for your patience.
Be normal.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Well, it seems I sold the bear's pelt before I killed it...

The games on Gortek's first tape all have a mild form of copy protection. I'll have to go the .tap / .t64 way but I don't have a standard music tape deck anymore.

There are relatively simple ways out there to connect a tape deck to a C64 / VIC-20 but what I need is the opposite... connecting my datasette to the PC's soundcard. More exactly converting what comes out the datasette's read line (which I suspect is 0-5v square waves) into a signal capturable but a standard PC's soundcard.

No, I will not use the gizmo that allows you to connect a datasette to the parallel port. I'd rather hang myself than consider such a needlessly complex solution.
Be normal.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Just to let everyone know I am still at work creating a device that allows connecting a datasette to a PCs sound card. Gortek is (slowly) coming.
Be normal.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

I appreciate your efforts, Eslapion.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I opened a box of Vic20 tapes I bought ages ago, and hadn't properly gone through yet to decide what to keep and what to sell, and found both Gortek tapes were in there. If I get my tape transfer setup going in the near future, I might have a go at transferring them too.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mayhem wrote:I opened a box of Vic20 tapes I bought ages ago, and hadn't properly gone through yet to decide what to keep and what to sell, and found both Gortek tapes were in there. If I get my tape transfer setup going in the near future, I might have a go at transferring them too.
Then all I would have to do is scan my printed material and we could combine our efforts.
Be normal.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I have completely recovered Gortek and the Microchips in .tap format as well as a couple of Computer Educator Systems albums yet I have no news of Bo Zimmerman in more than a month.

Any suggestions?

I admit I have a bit of grievances against him. A few years ago, I had a couple of albums to send him and these are quite large files. I just wanted to make sure I don't send him these files to e-mail without him being aware of the size in advance and agreeing to it. He reacted like I was pressuring him into going faster... Dunno if he's ignoring me because he's still under that impression...
Be normal.
AntiPontifex
High Performance Typist

Post by AntiPontifex »

@eslapion I've already suggested this - in a manner of speaking, anyway - you really should think about setting up your
own site or asking someone else who already has a setup if you can place your files there. It seems like it's the only
way....my .05 for what it's worth.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

How much space are we talking about?
Kind regards, Peter.