Best way to share a collection (virtually)

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

rgrocha
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Best way to share a collection (virtually)

Post by rgrocha »

After a looong delay, I finally begin to upload content.

I'm starting a series of educational software Commodore / Ivan Berg.
First I edited the |Commodore Casssetes section and added the code, create some pages and uploaded PDFs for those pages.

I'll first upload the media and then I'll start to add a tempalte to format them all.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Perfect timing...well almost.

I was looking all over hell for Gortek and the Microchips .tap file or program listings.
I will keep an eye out for when it is available on your site.

Thanks!
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
rgrocha
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by rgrocha »

I'll check tonight and give priority to it ;-)
rgrocha
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by rgrocha »

I've checked my copy and it's SEALED! :-( (Is that a bad thing? :-D )
On the other hand I've just found it elsewhere. Check http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=12263&d=18&h=0 , you can download it from given link (http://gamebase64.hardabasht.com/games/ ... 263_02.zip)

Hope it helps,
Roberto
rgrocha wrote:I'll check tonight and give priority to it ;-)
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

I've seen that too, but that is the C64 version, not the VIC.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@rgrocha

Please look here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html

I have a lot more to publish.

I have ALL the english Computer Educators and the majority of the french ones.

@pitcalco
I have posted in your thread related to Gortek and the Microchips.

I have an original here.
Be normal.
rgrocha
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by rgrocha »

@eslapion

Great! I've not any Canadian Computer Educator packages, so hopefully we will not overlap. I updated the index page to reflect some new for me packages named in another thread.

Are you going to create the Denial Wiki pages for those?

My intention is to have everything documented in Denial and upload the info to other sites too, as recommended here, but my efforts have slowed down due work load [emoji20]
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@rgrocha:
I prefer not to touch the Wiki. I give the collections to Zimmer let the people in charge put in the Wiki what they feel is appropriate and in the manner they like.

For example, I simply posted a public request to put the image in the Wiki when I published a pics of a VIC-1110 converted to 32k.

Right now, only Gortek and the CES series are in my ToDo list.

Can you tell me what's in your plans?

BTW, because it is sometimes difficult to do good extractions that don't cause rescaling, I tend to avoid the PDF format even if it may seem convenient.
Be normal.
rgrocha
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by rgrocha »

My intentions in the wiki is to make a nice page for each package with at least a description of the package (or simply the back cover text), a picture of the front cover, a picture of the whole package (box, instructions, tapes or carts) and the PDF download.

I'm also keeping the original scans (I've retouched each page, centering, rotating and cleaning them a bit) at 600dpi.
I also plan to send the OCRed PDF (300dpi) with the original JPGs at 600dpi to other sites like Zimmer, DLH's Commodore Archive and anyone who asks them for :-)

I started with the Ivan Berg collections as I was unable to find anything about them online.

PD: I've just updated the http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... Quizmaster page. It's missing the Zimemers (or wherever else repository) link with all files to download.

I've also like to add atable with some featrures of the package: year, publisher, RAM reqs, etc

Regards
eslapion wrote:@rgrocha:
I prefer not to touch the Wiki. I give the collections to Zimmer let the people in charge put in the Wiki what they feel is appropriate and in the manner they like.

For example, I simply posted a public request to put the image in the Wiki when I published a pics of a VIC-1110 converted to 32k.

Right now, only Gortek and the CES series are in my ToDo list.

Can you tell me what's in your plans?

BTW, because it is sometimes difficult to do good extractions that don't cause rescaling, I tend to avoid the PDF format even if it may seem convenient.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@rgrocha:
My advice:
- Avoid the PDF format at all cost. Trying to extract images from PDFs afterwards inevitably results in rescaling. Very ugly.
- Also, if you scan things that are in color, its very important to properly descreen otherwise you get ugly moiré patterns in all color images. See: http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free- ... ge10732957

For example, in your quizmaster page, there is a small amount of moiré in the VIC-20 color logo on the high resolution scan of the box which does indicate there is no descreening. Usually, if the scanning software you use does not offer descreening, it can be simulated by scanning at the highest possible resolution of the scanner then scaling down the scan to the resolution you want.

I find, when using descreening, a resolution higher than 150dpi is not needed. Scanning at a higher resolution simply makes the printing screen more apparent and results in huge files needlessly.
Be normal.
rgrocha
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by rgrocha »

I've started again to add some more info to the wiki. This time the Commodore cartridges.

I'll create all missing page and add some general packages pics, then later I'll scan all leaflets and boxes to add high scale pics too.

I'll also try to create some tempaltes to follow a common format, at least on a basic cart info.

More to follow.