VIC 20 and ebay insanity!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

thecollector
Vic 20 Drifter

VIC 20 and ebay insanity!

Post by thecollector »

I like to keep an eye on the ebay listings for the VIC 20 and other Commodore retro items that I may be interested in, and sometimes I can get a little carried away in a bid if it is something I really want and is rare. However, I think this might be one of the worst examples of ebay insanity I have seen for a while, someone please explain to me who would pay this for a VIC 20:

The following listing ended recently with over 30 bidders and the final price reached £410, excluding delivery! which BTW is also £18.00! :shock:
Vic 20 ebay UK

It appears to be in near mint or mint condition, although the pictures available do not confirm that only suggest it.
It is possible that some of the bidders have requested more pictures or other information in PM on ebay, but there is nothing updated on the listing pages to confirm that.
The box condition is certainly much better than most, with just a little damage.
It comes with the common datasette, nothing special.
The Introduction to Basic is incomplete.
There is no confirmation that the unit powers on, or that it displays a picture, i.e. no testing has been done.
It is not the original model, but the later version with the different PSU i.e. like C64.

£410!! :roll:

I think I need a drink!
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC 20 and ebay insanity!

Post by English Invader »

I would say the lack of use is all the more reason to avoid it. Unused 30 year old electronics doesn't sound good to me.

Also, I'm not 100% on this, but I think the power supplies shipped with just the wires and the PSU in that auction has had a plug fitted.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. My revision A PAL C64 was 99% sure never used before I bought it, and the power supply inside was without a plug. I opened her up and there were dust bunnies galore present heh. The power supply in this auction was one of the later supply types for sure.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
thecollector
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by thecollector »

Interesting what you both say about the PSU, makes this auction even more bizarre. I think some people just have money to burn!
Groovydrifter
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Groovydrifter »

The funniest thing is that they pay that money for this unit but won't even look at a yellowed unit for 5 pounds. I got my first vic20 like that, and it cleaned very nicely.
ebay slang 101: not tested=not working
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Always better than these auctions:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vic-20-colour ... 1165676012
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIC-20-Brochu ... 1165635356

Wonder why one would post these prices :shock:
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I've got the second flyer, without a crease down the middle. Anyone want it for £600?
Groovydrifter
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Groovydrifter »

Don't be shy... say £1000 so I can ask €500 for one of it's kind EAR-MIC Spectrum cable... very rare as you may know..[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
ebay slang 101: not tested=not working
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: Sv: VIC 20 and ebay insanity!

Post by joshuadenmark »

srowe wrote:I've got the second flyer, without a crease down the middle. Anyone want it for £600?
Can you sell it for £500, it's my final offer ;-)
Kind regards, Peter.