PC1541 cable and .wav files for Vic?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pitfall Harry

PC1541 cable and .wav files for Vic?

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Is there a way to use a PC to 1541 cable and transfer, store and play games on the Vic, like can be done for the C64?

I'de love to be able to play the rarer games made by Atarisoft, and other popular arcade games that are hard to find for the Vic in cart format.

Seems like there will not be a Vic 20 multicart, so how else can we get to play them on the Vic 20 - other than emulators.

Alan

pitfall_harry65@hotmail.com
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have such a cable. It connects the printer port to the 1541 drive. Brian (from INdiana) made it for me, but I imagine that many more exist. I used it with the star commander program to play all of the old carts from funnet ftp.

The only problem is that the cable only works with processors UNDER pentium. I sold my old 386 laptop I used with the cable before knowing this fact. Now I am searching for a cheap 386 laptop again just to use it with the cable!
:roll:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The X1541 cable usually works with computers up to 486 class. The XE1541 cable works with most Pentium class machines. The XA1541, XM1541 etc are even more advanced cables which to some degree are backwards compatible with the X(E)1541 software.

Another solution is the C2N232 interface by Marko Mäkelä. It connects a serial cable between your PC and the tape port on your Commodore computer and offers blasting fast transfer speeds. It may not be usable as a way to permanently store software on VIC media, but more like loading it directly off a (PC) server.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image