Ivan Berg Software Series

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Ivan Berg Software Series

Post by vicist »

Followed several threads in this forum about Ivan Berg software but they only mention that it was probably UK only and nothing about where to find the programs - apart from E-bay of course.

I personally own two titles:

Know your own IQ
Mathematics 2

I managed to hack into these and have successfully preserved them in digital format. They now load from disk instead of tape so I can use them with my newly acquired sd2iec device.

Is there anything out there like Gamebase20 for serious programs like educational/productivity titles?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you Vicist, please upload it somewhere! It would be great if there was a database for VIC's "utility programs", but IMO there's nothing similar to the GB20 for them.
One of my (never realized) projects in the past was to setup a VIC simulating a 1981-1983 office, with printer, disk drive, cassette player, faux-wood panels, ferns, and everything... but I need to know every application program and have every thick printed manual in my library :)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Ivan Berg also did Mastermind which is a simulation of the famous TV show with the black armchair. It's a multi-load program with about 9 different tapes so I imagine it would be unsuited to D64 or PRG format, but I think it's been converted to TAP.

Plus, the SD2IEC is pretty much hopeless for anything that involves a disk change.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

English Invader wrote:Plus, the SD2IEC is pretty much hopeless for anything that involves a disk change.
Not exactly, most implementations include buttons for disk swapping - or you can simply put everything on a D81, which was done e.g. for the Infocom adventures, and you have all the space you need on a SD2IEC readable image :).
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The game related software they put out is in Gamebase20. Such as Mastermind, that was mentioned. I may not have all of it, they did put out an awful lot heh.
English Invader wrote:Ivan Berg also did Mastermind which is a simulation of the famous TV show with the black armchair. It's a multi-load program with about 9 different tapes so I imagine it would be unsuited to D64 or PRG format, but I think it's been converted to TAP.
Yes, I used to have the program AND pretty much all the question expansions on tape until selling them recently. I think I'm missing one that I know about. But they were all converted to TAP and are in Gamebase20.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

OK

Files are now available to download from my webpage - enjoy :)

I'm away for a few days but I'll scan the instruction leaflets and put them up as soon as I can.

http://www.vicist.co.uk/vic.html
Last edited by vicist on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

I've scanned the instructions for both titles to pdf's.

They are now included in the download when you click on the images. :)

http://www.vicist.co.uk/vic.html
Last edited by vicist on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you so much!
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Ivan Berg Software Series

Post by 16KVIC20 »

They also did Ask The Family, The Quizmaster and the O Level revision tapes. I personally had Mathematics, Physics and Geography at least, but maybe more.

I used to quite like the Ivan Berg titles. Well maybe not revise O Level Physics!
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Ivan Berg Software Series

Post by vicist »

Someone has asked for the .tap files for Mathematics 1 so I am posting them here as I don't seem to be able to attach them in PM.

Edit: I forgot to include the original program that loads from tape and displays the related messages. Posted below.

Mathematics1_tap_files.zip
(70.83 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
maths_tape.zip
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 167 times