I did something crazy last night!!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

freshlamb
Vic 20 Dabbler

I did something crazy last night!!

Post by freshlamb »

It appears my main computer has died, so after pacing around the house for a few hours I thought maybe I should dig out my Real Vic and hook it up! So it took several hours to find enough bits and make some (I no longer have a cord that goes from RCA to COAX) to get it all up and running. I finally found a Datasette that was working and loaded my first game on a REAL VIC in 11 years!! The first game was Galaxia then I loaded Quadrant. So much fun. But I see I have some fixing and cleaning ahead of me as well. For all the stuff that worked, there was an awful lot that did not. Still pretty good for sitting for over a decade!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Welcome back! :D

Nothing beats the real iron. 8)
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Welcome back, VIC! :wink:

That stuff was made to last forever. Isn't it ironic, if you consider that it was a cheap project sold at such a low price? Producers were more serious in those days.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Well done freshlamb. Maybe Commodore built its computers with cheap components, but newer mobos had less parts and produced less heat. If you keep them in a dry place and turn them on every once in a while, they really last forever :) .
bills442
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bills442 »

I always figured the reason older electronics lasted so long is because they hadn't figured out *how* to make the components cheap yet, both in quality and costs,... in other words, they didn't know they could put only .00001 thousandths of something in a transistor X and have it still work -- after decades of figuring out how to build disposable electronics and cut productions costs, they *definitely* have it figured out now
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

What do you mean? Crazy???
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Well done for finally seeing the light! No boot up or shutdown times, silent operation, no DLC or OS updates, no viruses, spam or malware. Just lots of good times ahead! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I feel like I can only use real VICs. Without exception, all my development is done on time appropriate hardware.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.