Gamebase20 version 3!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mayhem
High Bidder

Gamebase20 version 3!

Post by Mayhem »

I figure a new thread was in order...!

Before it goes live, I'd like a few test subjects to try it out and make sure I've not cocked something up somewhere. First X people (to be decided) to reply in this thread will get some early access ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

I'm happy to test it (on a Windows 7 machine).
Vicman *1970
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Vicman *1970 »

I'm still using WinXP.
Want to give it a try here :D
eCC-Imagepack-Designer
Done: Vic20, N64, Philips VG-5000-G7000-G7400, SordM5, Amstrad GX4000
Progress: Atari 8bit, Enterprise 64/128, Dosbox
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Any others?
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mayhem wrote:Any others?
You can put my name down also.

I'm running Windows 7 (64 Bit).

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@Mayhem:
I assume you have updated games Ice and Convention using the tapes I have sent you.

If so, would you be so kind to provide Zimmers with an updated version of the Games 20 collection with versions that work properly of the aforementioned games.

This collection is located here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... ames20.zip

If you can't, please provide me with the good versions of the games and I will take care of it.

Thank you.
Be normal.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yes, I did update the versions in GB20 before this release. PM sent :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

If people do find any issues, please email or PM me here.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

I guess I volunteered wrongly to test this Gamebase.

I have been using emulators since the 90s, but have never been able to setup Gamebase to work.

I thought, "Sure, with only the VIC, I can do this."

But no, I cannot get Gamebase running. I've read several tutorials and tried everything I can thing of, but I can't get it to run. I comprehend how it is supposed to work, but nothing I do works.

I can get VICE to run perfectly, as well as many other emulators, just not Gamebase.

I would love to test this further, but after several hours my disappointment and frustration has set in. I will try again tomorrow... maybe (I hope) someone can provide a link or some kind of instructions that make sense, because everything I've tried fails :(
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

akator wrote:I guess I volunteered wrongly to test this Gamebase.

I have been using emulators since the 90s, but have never been able to setup Gamebase to work.

I thought, "Sure, with only the VIC, I can do this."

But no, I cannot get Gamebase running. I've read several tutorials and tried everything I can thing of, but I can't get it to run. I comprehend how it is supposed to work, but nothing I do works.

I can get VICE to run perfectly, as well as many other emulators, just not Gamebase.

I would love to test this further, but after several hours my disappointment and frustration has set in. I will try again tomorrow... maybe (I hope) someone can provide a link or some kind of instructions that make sense, because everything I've tried fails :(
Hi Akator

Can you give a bit more information on whats going wrong/not working - any errors you are getting.

I have never used GB20 before so I was thankful for the Install.txt file that was available in the archive. I downloaded Gamebase and installed then followed the steps listed in "Install.txt", the only issue I had was for some reason pointing GB20 to my already installed VICE2.4 would not allow me to select it as the emulator to use. So I just unzipped the one inside the GB20 archive into a different folder and pointed it to that.

All was fine after that.

Post some more info on your problem(s) and maybe someone can shine some light on the situation :)

KingTrode / Jim
Vicman *1970
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Vicman *1970 »

Hi Mayhem,

not a GB-Error , but a Game-Bug ? :
Assteroyd Dodger : -> can't start the second game version (from year 2010)
i have only the start-screen.....how to run the game ?
Last edited by Vicman *1970 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicman *1970
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Vicman *1970 »

small GB-Bug : wrong "gamefile-path-entry" for Escape (Nufekop)
wrong : -> Escape.zip
right : -> Escape Nufekop.zip
Vicman *1970
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Vicman *1970 »

Game :
Jeeper should be named Jeeper's
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Escape from Nufekop is indeed incorrect, I've fixed that. I've updated the name for Jeeper.

For Assteroyd Dodger, you need to press 1 to load the original, and 2 to load the updated version. Is that not working for you?
KingTrode wrote:the only issue I had was for some reason pointing GB20 to my already installed VICE2.4 would not allow me to select it as the emulator to use.
I suspect your copy of VICE there has a different checksum to what I put into the setup file. The setup determines what you have based on comparing all EXE files against the checksum, and is based on the version of Vice 2.4 Windows I downloaded from Sourceforge.

To which I think I've twigged. I use 32 bit Vice, I bet you originally had 64 bit Vice there, right? Okay, I guess I should download the 64 bit version and generate a checksum for that to put in the setup file. I'll make a note of that. This is what testing is designed to uncover!
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mayhem wrote: To which I think I've twigged. I use 32 bit Vice, I bet you originally had 64 bit Vice there, right? Okay, I guess I should download the 64 bit version and generate a checksum for that to put in the setup file. I'll make a note of that. This is what testing is designed to uncover!
Correct 64 bit WINVice here :wink:

KingTrode / Jim