Manual Help - Need Copy of manual!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

billlagr
Vic 20 Amateur

Manual Help - Need Copy of manual!

Post by billlagr »

I posted this some time ago, but something may have turned up since then..
I am after a copy of a manual for an Adman Speech Synthesiser cartridge. I can't remember specifics, but I do remember that you need to put what you want spoken phonetically in a specific string name then there was an SYS to make it say it. The manual had a table with the phonetics and the SYS calls to make it work.
It also by default sounds out the letters and symbols on the keyboard as each key is pressed.
I had a pile of VIC tapes that I went through in the hope of finding some of the BASIC programs I had written in the dim dark past that used the cartridge - I remember that I wrote a speaking clock and a text adventure game that spoke, but unfortunately I couldn't find them. I have seen one other listed on eBay, and I contacted the seller to get a copy of the manual, unfortunately he didn't have his either.
If anyone can help..it would be appreciated!
EDIT - This data sheet looks very very familiar, and I think it goes part way to the solution..
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concu ... /words.pdf

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It's so pretty... :shock:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I wonder if guru Marko Mäkelä ever found out anything. In 2003, he also owned Adman Speech Synthesizer for VIC-20. Maybe you would like to contact him. Another option as mentioned before is that Sintech shop has a C64 Adman Speech for sale. I don't know if Thomas would be kind to photo-copy the manual, and then hope to be able to apply the C64 addresses to VIC.

If you want to dig even deeper than allophones, here is a rather technical description of the SP0256 chip used in cartridges like this one. I dunno if it helps you search the ROM for suitable SYS addresses though.

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/t ... r_set.html

So, now we have two Denial members with one speech synth each (you and Mika, who has Currah Chatterbox) but both lack documentation?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

By the way, here is the message on cbm-hackers list in case you didn't find it:

http://www.softwolves.pp.se/misc/arkiv/ ... /8727.html

The GETIN vector equals the pointer $032A/032B (810/811) if I'm not mistaken. By PRINT PEEK(810)+PEEK(811)*256 you may get a hint which address is called for every keypress, and maybe it will jog your memory the method to "say" a word.
Anders Carlsson

billlagr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by billlagr »

I located someone else on Google who had one in their collection, but the email I sent bounced. :/
Its a pity that I loaned it out, but when I did, there wasnt really a demand for Vic stuff. It was boxed and all....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

At least "marko dot makela at hut dot fi" seemed to be a valid email address as late as yesterday.. :) Otherwise I could post a follow-up to the list on the almost two year old message asking if there ever was any progress.
Anders Carlsson

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

There is your manual! http://sleepingelephant.com/v-web/bulle ... 1033#11033

Contact Mikam73
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I have fixed Mikam's Currah unit and it looks very similar to the Jogi pictures. More later.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready