Scored a VIC-1020!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Schema
factor

Scored a VIC-1020!

Post by Schema »

I am now the proud owner of a VIC-1020!

It's in excellent condition, but the front label, while so far intact, has bubbled and become quite brittle. So I'm debating what to do about that. Any suggestions?

It also came with several boxed cartridges, a boxed VIC-1525 printers and the usual (VIC itself, datasette, etc.).

Just wanting to brag a little :D
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

post some pics when you get a chance, and a close up of the label issue.

Good score!!
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Congrats!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've never owned one. Is the label the same material as the VIC's name badge on the top left side or is it a sticker?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

It (the label) isn't like the one on the VIC. It's a very thin plastic, you can see the bubbling below.

Here's the haul:

Close-up of the VIC-1020.

Label Extreme Close-ups

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've never seen a joystick with the commodore logo on the back edge. Is that a sticker? Original sticker or just something the owner slapped on it?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Schema wrote:It (the label) isn't like the one on the VIC. It's a very thin plastic...
Hmm, thin plastic... On the VC1020, isn't the label made of something like vellum?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's kind of like a normal sticker. Mine has come off completely. I have put it back with normal transparent tape.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Ravin' Ray
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Ravin' Ray »

I come back after months and wow, congrats Schema, I never knew of the VIC-1020 until way after my VIC-20 stopped working and seeing them still on sale is amazing.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've never seen a joystick with the commodore logo on the back edge. Is that a sticker? Original sticker or just something the owner slapped on it?
Yeah, it's the sticker from a Commodore filing cabinet :lol:
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

What cartridges did you get?
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

VIC-1525, the friendly printer by the looks of the box :D

I bought my VIC-1020 when the local store got rid of their VIC-20 inventory. I think I paid 50 FIM for it, about 8.50 euros. I also bought lots of cartridges for 9 FIM (1.50€) each.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That's a great find, Schema - where the heck did you get it? Toronto is a great place to find caches of old Commodore stuff.

What's really neat about that 1020 is that is actually says "VIC-1020". Most of the ones that show up are from Europe and say "VC-1020".

I'd take extremely detailed photos straight-on of the label, so that if it ever is destroyed, you could have a replacement made.

I've always loved the 1020 because it makes the VIC-20 look like a PET. Maybe I'll find one, one day.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It says VIC on mine.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

ral-clan wrote:That's a great find, Schema - where the heck did you get it? Toronto is a great place to find caches of old Commodore stuff.
I actually got it from someone in Ottawa :shock:, it was listed on Ottawa Kijiji and a friend spotted it.