Game Room Design

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Game Room Design

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've developed an interest in designing the perfect game room (computer room, collection room, etc. etc.) Take a look at this guy's slideshow of a game room:

I wanted to know what thoughts on making a collector's space... What would you choose?

Seating: Recliner, Sofa, Floor seating (pillows, etc.), or Rolling office chair?
Monitor: CRT, large flat screen, projector, or professional monitors?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

My ideal game room is a retro-futuristic one, much in the style of the future foreseen in the Seventies and early Eighties. If I had the room and money for it, I'd set up a room like the Space: 1999 rooms:

Imagine those shelves full of shiny silver cartridges, a white VIC with its green-on-black monitor and of course the VIC1020 on the white table, just under those Nemo lights... I'd have a lot of fun looking for stylish drawers, tapestry, carpets, etc. :)
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

If I had a bigger space for my game room then I'd certainly have a large, soft couch and have all my consoles and computers in the same room. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of space so I've settled on a room for my consoles and one for my computers. You can check out my game room at the following link. It's a small (10' x 11' I believe) room but packed full of goodness. :)

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=31714

I'm still working on my computer room. Too much stuff. :P

Heather
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really wanted to see your game room, but the images are only viewable to registered members of that forum. I registered, but I have to wait for admin approval.

Your game room is much bigger than mine. I'm curious to know what AV switches you use. I have my favorite, but I'm also considering a receiver (I don't like the idea of having to power on the receiver to select my console).
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Hi Jeff!

Hopefully someone has approved you on AmiBay but I've posted the images here in case they haven't. :)

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

I'm using a GTMax RCA Audio Video Switch Box Selector Splitter - 6 In 1 Out. They are relatively inexpensive and are physical switches so no power is needed to go to them. You can see them on the top left and right of the CRT television.

I also have an HDMI switch mounted on the back of the LCD and I have two Component switches (One with physical buttons and the other is electronic with a remote).

Please let me know if you have any other questions about my setup. :)

Heather
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm in awe! Amazing set up! I'm getting lots of ideas here.

I share your love of flash carts. I have flash carts for Genesis and Atari 2600. I haven't yet got one for SNES or NES. I'm waiting for better developments. I wish I had waited for a better GEN cart; I've bought three and feel jealous of the latest fast flash cart.

With all the work on flash carts, I'm surprised collectors don't put more effort into finding good solutions for monitors and AV selectors.

I have two Pelican PL 960 AV selectors with a third non-working one (they're fragile). There are two versions with the same model number. My versions has remotes, lower power consumption, and supports a bunch of input types (S-video, component, composite, and ethernet, etc.) But I'm starting to think a physical switch would be better. Fewer plugs but I fear of a degraded signal. There's also the option of a dedicated receiver. I haven't done the research, but I suspect the power will always need to be on with that option.

I just removed a 32" CRT flat screen Sony Trinitron as my main gaming screen. I replaced it with a 20" CRT "round screen" Sony Trinitron and couldn't be more please! It looks so much better with my older systems which were designed for this type of screen. I still have stereo sound, and it looks great with my PS2 generation systems. However, fewer inputs make the AV selector more important.

I highly recommend the smaller rounded screens. You'll have to be a little closer or adjust your expectations, but graphics look more natural and light guns work.
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Thanks Jeff! I put a lot of work into my game room and I'm glad you like it. I definitely love flash carts and have been happy with every one of them I've bought. I know there are better versions of some of the carts that I have, but I'm overall extremely satisfied with the ones I have. I use emulators for the uncommon games that don't work with what I have. :)

I've used some of the powered switch boxes before but I've found the physical ones to be much more reliable and less quirky. I'm actually running the two switches on top of the TV in series. The output of the box on the left goes to the first input of the box on the right. The output of the box on the right goes to the TV. I'm not seeing any degradation of quality in this configuration.

I've actually been very happy with the look of all my retro systems on the flat Trinitron screen. I've got a smaller screen in another room that I can use when I want to play gun games.

As you can see in my last picture, I'm using power strips that have individual power switches for each plug. This is a great configuration because I only turn on the switches for the devices I'm using. The only things that have constant power are the televisions. The silly Genesis has it's own power strip because it has 3 power supplies! I went with the individual power switches so all those wall warts were not constantly drawing power.

The entertainment furniture was in my living room but I recently bought new furniture and the old stuff worked out perfect for my game room. :D

Please let me know how yours turns out. I'd love to see some pictures.

Thanks!

Heather
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Looking at all these great rooms and ideas...man I need a job...LOL!
Learning all the time... :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Heather,
I use one of those computer power switch centers; you know the kind that were popular in the 90s and sat under the CRT monitors (power switches for computer, monitor, printer, etc.). Each line is connected to a power strip, so I'm always turning on several systems at a time. I mostly just turn the master power on and off. I like your solution much better.

I see your point about TVs. I am just now adjusting to my new 21" round screen, and I have to rethink my lighting arrangement. The round screen reflects light. Ugh.

darkatx,
Every collection room makes me excited. There's something about the concentration of a hobby that's awesome. Even if it's not your hobby! Observe, comic books: