My old stuff online

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

My old stuff online

Post by Dusty »

I just opened my "VIC-20 resource page" with games (and some other stuff) I wrote between 1985 and 1986.

I'm sorry, it took me over 1 year to keep my promise to share my old programs here. Here is the link, hope you enjoy it:

http://vic20.lenneserver.de

Thank you very much to the users "English Invader" (for sending me the X1541 cable, that enabled me to transfer my old 1541 discs to the PC and so to the WWW) and "tokra" (who published my games "Robin At Ravenwreck" and "Wormy" here and so indirectly lead me to this beautiful page).
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Very impressive!!!
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Nice! So much "new" games to check out ;-)
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Nice job. I like the way the little cursor blinks next to the page you choose. Nice selection of games too. I'm going to try them right now.
Rob
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Nice... I'll have to get around to putting them into Gamebase20. Robin at Ravenwreck definitely works in 8k as I got it working with that for the archive. It might be because the files are not part of a disk image.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Just wanted to point out that all of the unexpanded game files need to have their load address changed from $1201 to $1001 to be able to drag and drop them onto Vice and get them to auto run.

Also, Coppa is a pretty cool concept. Simple and challenging.
Rob
Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Dusty »

Thank you for your kind replies and hints!

@GreyGhost: Yes, I loved the idea with the blinking cursor, too and I spent some time to include this gag :D Might you give me brief instruction, how to change the load addres for the games? I didn't know that WinVICE is able to start programs via Drag&Drop (up to now I copy the files into the folder I defined as my mounted disk). Is D&D equivalent to the secondary parameter of the LOAD command, so that it loads to it's absolut address? (load "coppa",8,1)

I found a memory map along with a zero page description and all other necessary stuff on the web last night, I think, I'll have to get back deeper into it again 8)

@Mayhem: Robin At Ravenwreck runs in 8K mode in the version, tokra posted here in the forums. In the (unmodified) version of my page, it exits with the "out of memory error" after the "ticker" when finished stage one. Checking with the FRE(x)-function tells me 88 bytes left. The version of tokra uses the standard character set AFAIR, while my version has a reloaded one.

I also had problems with my 8K version of Wormy, so I used tokra's modified one. He mainly added a POKE 44,26 if I got it right -- this is the high byte of the beginning of the BASIC RAM, isn't it? Probably the same problem, GreyGhost experienced? I found some other stuff (ie. a tool for defining multi color characters such as used in RaR or Wormy), that I was unable to run...
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I use a PC program called HxD. It's a very cool hex editor. Just open the Vic file with HxD and edit the first 2 bytes. It is written in low byte high byte format. Very easy to do.

$1001- unexpanded
$0401- 3k expasion
$1201- 8k or more

I think that's correct.
Rob
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yep, that's correct.

Aside from Wormy and Robin at Ravenwreck, were any of those published in a magazine or similar? Just looking for credits for GB20 ;)
Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Dusty »

No, I never published the other games before, but it surely would be nice to find them inside the gamebase!

With my recovered knowledge about the memory map, I managed to run the 2nd generation of my redefining character tool (with both multicolor and double height support). I just added it to the "UTILS" menu of the webpage.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

GreyGhost wrote:I use a PC program called HxD. It's a very cool hex editor. Just open the Vic file with HxD and edit the first 2 bytes. It is written in low byte high byte format. Very easy to do.

$1001- unexpanded
$0401- 3k expasion
$1201- 8k or more

I think that's correct.
Or you can use PRG Starter to do it. (The "Change" button).
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Btw I managed to beat the first level of Coppa legit, but the time limits are pretty strict!
Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Dusty »

Mayhem wrote:Btw I managed to beat the first level of Coppa legit, but the time limits are pretty strict!
That's great - I know, it's possible, but I didn't manage it up to now. Do you play on VICE or original hardware? Do you have a joystick?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

very nice.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Dusty wrote:That's great - I know, it's possible, but I didn't manage it up to now. Do you play on VICE or original hardware? Do you have a joystick?
VICE, on the cursor keys. Might be easier with a joystick. It's about as much plotting the optimum route to cover all the squares, rather that worrying about going over ones you've already done heh.