Tape preservation

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Navvarr
Vic 20 Drifter

Tape preservation

Post by Navvarr »

I've been a big fan of the Vic20 since I was a kid.
I've written quite a few old games that I'd like to preserve and maybe save as snapshots to play in VICE.

I've been messing about with my old tapes, trying to create TAP files- but not had much luck at all.

I've created WAV files and played them back- and they sound fine- then I've converted them to TAP using Wavprg and Audiotap but VICE just doesn't find the files at all.
I've tried altering the volume levels but so far- no luck.

The games themselves can still be loaded -with a bit of luck.

Can I use my old 5 1/4 floppy drive to save the programs and load them to VICE using that in some way?- will a modern (ish) PC be able to read a 5 1/4 inch disc?

I'd appreciate any pointers or advice! thanks!!
Navvarr
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Navvarr »

One other question- does VICE have an option to load tapes directly to the emulator?- like a normal VIC20?

Is there a way of doing this?- would be useful since then I could just load the games and their loaders and just snapshot them.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Are you in the UK? Your ISP suggests that... if you don't have any success, you can send the tapes to me to preserve, and then sent back. All I generally ask is the cost of postage.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Navvarr
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Navvarr »

Thanks for the offer- I appreciate it.

I'll give it a few more goes- also going to try and back them up using my 5 1/4 inch disk and see how that goes.

Will get back to you if I i'm unsuccessful.

I appreciate your offer.