Canadian VIC-1020

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

davidv_ wrote:Inow why would a music instrument store order a VIC-20 from Commodore Canada (Scarborough Ontario)? By curiosity? Thinking ahead about the link between computers and music no doubt, which would come only later with the MIDI interfaces for the C64 and the Atari ST.
In addition to Canadian Tire, etc. the other place that carried Commodore stuff in my hometown (Dauphin, Manitoba) was the mom&pop music supply store. Next time I'm back, I should stop in and see what they've got left in storage.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That is totally awesome. I have been searching for a VIC-1020 for a hell of a long time....and you got one brand frikkin' spanking new. Congratulations! So very nice.

Oh, and those synths are pretty good. The FB-01 is a nice polyphonic synth (like having 8 DX100s in a box). The QY-10 is also really fun.

Great cache you've found!
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

ral-clan wrote:That is totally awesome. I have been searching for a VIC-1020 for a hell of a long time....and you got one brand frikkin' spanking new. Congratulations! So very nice.
Its for sale! Just dont know how much this is worth, But i wouldnt mind
some money for all my other hoarding habits (yes including synths) :)
Oh, and those synths are pretty good. The FB-01 is a nice polyphonic synth (like having 8 DX100s in a box). The QY-10 is also really fun.

Great cache you've found!
in fact a FB01 is nearly the same as a DX100, same YM2164 FM chip inside. just the sysex is crippled compared to the DX100.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I couldn't afford to spend the amount your going to get for that VIC-1020 on eBay (even the old, opened ones go for a lot).

There is an FB-01 patch editor for the Amiga (free on Aminet) - it will even run in an Amiga emulator on a PC.
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Canadian VIC-1020

Post by Frank »

davidv_ wrote:Hi

Just scored a brand new in box VIC-1020.
Just confirming that it is made in Commodore's Braunschweig plants (from box).

https://picasaweb.google.com/1097854705 ... 37/VIC1020#
:shock:

Impressive...... Most impressive.
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Frank »

davidv_ wrote:Its of course german, but targeted for the Canadian market. if i trust "secret weapons of commodore", it was released only in Canada in North America, and a few places in Europe.
Centallica wrote: Where did you ever find that boxed?
If you zoom in the first box pictures you'll notice "Le Palais de la Musique", which is a notable music instrument store south of Montreal, where i grew up. They had a closing sale recently and I bought lots of unsold 80s stuff from their attic, mostly cheap digital synthesizer boxes and drum machines that no one wanted (but me and my digital sound research).

Fun thing is in the late 90s I did visit that attic before, since I was friends with a clerk and I bought a new in box VIC-20, with starter pack, so I guess this VIC-1020 was probably ordered at the same time.... now why would a music instrument store order a VIC-20 from Commodore Canada (Scarborough Ontario)? By curiosity? Thinking ahead about the link between computers and music no doubt, which would come only later with the MIDI interfaces for the C64 and the Atari ST.
The vic had the ability to create some interesting sound effects like waves or telephones ringing. Perhaps this could have had something to do with that.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I had the priviledge of manipulating and testing the VIC-1020 of Davidv last week.

It works perfectly well.

Thank you Dave for this nice experience.
Be normal.
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

eslapion wrote:I had the priviledge of manipulating and testing the VIC-1020 of Davidv last week.

It works perfectly well.

Thank you Dave for this nice experience.
My pleasure!
And thanks for testing the simultaneous BLK usage using 2 utility carts.
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

Hi

Just placed it on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220875802567

Regards
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Here is another one of these for sale, maybe a bit pricy given its esthetic condition ?

http://www.vendio.com/stores/compused/i ... id=4418237