De-yellowing your VIC-20 case

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

I'm guessing there's hydrogen peroxide in it. Chlorine works as well, a lot of different stuff works - like acetone. But Retr0brite is considered to solve the problem in the best possible way.
My other interest: http://channelf.se
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

orion70 wrote:Good to know, thanks! Where did you find it (in Italy)?
Yes, it is an industrial product, there is the phone number of the firm to the bottle's label.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: De-yellowing your VIC-20 case

Post by Rich »

Adding to an old post, got a really bad yellowed Vic from ebay and had no luck with retrobrite so I took the plunge and spayed my first Vic20 and it came out really good here`s the pics and the spray I used (UK store B and M).As you can see from the bottom case the colour is quite close and its a satin finish.Just in case someone wants to do the same as it was really bad, you would not belive it was the same case. :D Its not as white as in the photos.See the white letters on the spray can to the top cap colour.

Only codes on the Spray tin are these
Last edited by Rich on Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

RAL code? thx
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

orion70 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:32 pmRAL code? thx
added some pictures of the codes on the spray can.??
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

🤔
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

RAL Codes are a European standard, we don't use them over here. Actually I am not sure there really is a standard here. Typically you would go to a paint store and ask for a color by name - all of the big suppliers have lookup tables to compare their names with the ones used by someone else. You can request paint by Pantone Number or RAL Number, but that's not really common to do that, and they aren't printed on the cans.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Well, Rustoleum does sell a can of Heirloom White (satin) here in the U.S.A. for about $6.

Whether it's the same, I don't know,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

I've been looking back at some YouTube videos by the 8bit guy when he got a pet style vic20 which was in a bad way like mine and he got the same colour that I got but I don't think he did his right lol he messed his up.

https://youtu.be/EHzazhKIbzk?si=1eA2WbxhtwiUDIOU

About 15 minutes in.
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Wayne / Art Ravers »

Ok, So Strange Question, My Vic 20 is as bad as yours ( AND actually has some Damage to the Plastic too ) - I Bought it off Ebay, It works but there is Damage to the Case - Burn Marks or something, there are visible indentations in the Plastic, NOT HAPPY about those so I did some Research Online and decided on - Epoxy Putty ! So, the Plan is fill the Gaps with the Putty then let it set and then a Considerable amount of time later ( A Few Days ? ) then Spray the Keyboard. THIS is where my question comes in... HOW Do I spray the Keyboard ? I have a B and M's nearby so I can nip down and get the Spray Paint but after watching that Video I got scared and thought I had better ask for help - "Help Please !" :lol:
Is there a Knack to Spraying the Keyboard ?
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Wayne / Art Ravers wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:08 pm Ok, So Strange Question, My Vic 20 is as bad as yours ( AND actually has some Damage to the Plastic too ) - I Bought it off Ebay, It works but there is Damage to the Case - Burn Marks or something, there are visible indentations in the Plastic, NOT HAPPY about those so I did some Research Online and decided on - Epoxy Putty ! So, the Plan is fill the Gaps with the Putty then let it set and then a Considerable amount of time later ( A Few Days ? ) then Spray the Keyboard. THIS is where my question comes in... HOW Do I spray the Keyboard ? I have a B and M's nearby so I can nip down and get the Spray Paint but after watching that Video I got scared and thought I had better ask for help - "Help Please !" :lol:
Is there a Knack to Spraying the Keyboard ?
As you can see on my orignal picture of the yellowed Vic there is a cable burn on the top, I used one of my wifes nail file( the wood ones with fine sandpaper on) and slowly rubbed it flat it was not to deep, I used a hair dryer to get the rubber feet off and badges, as for spraying I did mine in the garage with dust sheets to protect my items, It needs to be done inside and I sprayed mine about 6 inches away(to close and you get run marks) using back and forth strokes. Three layers in total. I did a test run on the inside first as this is not seen.You will never get a perfect finish due to praying see the pictures below, remember the photos are macro the finish is not that bad,but I was happy with mine, Good luck and post some before and after pictures........ :D

this is where the cable burn was:-

Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Thank You for all the help and Tips. Been Busy with work however... I have begun the Epoxy Process, Filing Down with the File Thingy Bob has helped but, I took too much Epoxy off ( I was TOO Vigorous - Insert your own Jokes there ! ) so have had to re-do the Bit I Over Rubbed ( Giggerdy ! ).
Posting Pictures shortly ( Before, During and After ). Oh and I nipped down B And M's on Sunday and got a Can of that Spray Stuff, I Cheked, Double Checked and Finally TRIPLE CHECKED I had got the right Can BEFORE I went and Bought it ( Talk about an OCD OVERLOAD !!! LOL ).
More News To Follow Fellow VICtorians ( See what I did there ? :D ).
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Wayne / Art Ravers wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:00 pm Thank You for all the help and Tips. Been Busy with work however... I have begun the Epoxy Process, Filing Down with the File Thingy Bob has helped but, I took too much Epoxy off ( I was TOO Vigorous - Insert your own Jokes there ! ) so have had to re-do the Bit I Over Rubbed ( Giggerdy ! ).
Posting Pictures shortly ( Before, During and After ). Oh and I nipped down B And M's on Sunday and got a Can of that Spray Stuff, I Cheked, Double Checked and Finally TRIPLE CHECKED I had got the right Can BEFORE I went and Bought it ( Talk about an OCD OVERLOAD !!! LOL ).
More News To Follow Fellow VICtorians ( See what I did there ? :D ).
Thats great It will be nice to see the pictures :D
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Here Goes -
Get your Chops round that -

https://imgur.com/a/BAQtquA
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

I was off Thursday so I sat with the Vic on my Lap Gently Nail Filing the Excess Epoxy off the Keyboard while watching "FATHER BROWN" - the Wife thought it was Hilarious ! I was just sat filing and "In The Zone" as Jeff Minter might say..

Next Picture Posted will be the Epoxy One !