Archival of game manuals/inlays etc.

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Spirantho
Vic 20 Amateur

Archival of game manuals/inlays etc.

Post by Spirantho »

Hi everybody,

I managed to fix my Vic's cassette player this weekend! I've already completed Adventureland now. :) Turned out my Vic had a dodgy 6502 too.

Anyhoo, I was wondering - does Denial have a central place for archival of bits'n'pieces like AtariAge does? There you can download ROMs, covers, manuals (scanned and HTML) and it's very handy.
I know vic20tapes.org archive tapes and there's a site which has a few manuals, but I'm thinking of something a bit more thorough and complete. If not can I help in any way, I have some (not too many) cassettes but no cartridge boxes/manuals.

Thanks!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com except it's a nEt not a nIt
www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ for repairs and hardware/software
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hi Spirantho, there are already sites with nice collections of VIC games and other stuff, such as manuals, inlay scans, etc. I don't think we need a "central repository" here!

To mention a few:

Zimmers
Arma TAP (hosted by 6502Dude)
Uber-Leet VIC downloads
EVG2000 carts screenshots and scans
Replacement Docs VIC manuals (games)
Bombjack library
...etc...
Spirantho
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Spirantho »

Thanks for the links!

I'm not sure I agree though. Part of the reason I was looking was because I wanted to find the manual for Adventureland while I was trying to work out how to run it (before I knew my 6502 was weak)... and even those links don't have a scan of the manual even though it's a common game. Plus those links are good if you know of them, but it might be useful to put the links on the webpage or at least a sticky in the forums (unless they're there already and I just missed them, which is always possible!).

I don't know how many newcomers come to this website but if it were clearer how to get the games and pictures and stuff it might be more appealing to newcomers? At the moment you go to one site to download the ROM, there's another website with a picture and no manual at all (and the uber-leet Adventureland link is dead). I suppose part of the problem is I'd guess most of the people on the forums are more technical than gameplayers, whereas of course 99% of Atari 2600 people (for AtariAge) are gamers so it makes sense to be more game/newcomer oriented.

I know this sort of thing doesn't make itself, though - it can be quite a lot of work! I would help where I could though if anyone were to make a more complete repository....
--
Ian Gledhill
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Get yourself Gamebase20, that's probably the most complete repository currently, to which I'm always adding and improving as time goes on. v0.2 is out at the moment, working on v0.3 although there are a couple of sticking points via Vice 2.2 currently...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

From Denial's front page, press LINKS. There's also a link in my sig below.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:Get yourself Gamebase20
Yes it's exactly what I thought, Gamebase20 is perfect to search something.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I feel your pain. I've been trying to collect original scans of Commodore 64 games, but due to the sheer volume of games produced and the relative lack of a strong, systematic and sustained effort (as far as I've seen so far) to scan documents into PDF's (and not just a portion of the manuals converted to text), it is hard to find specific game manuals in good scanned form, even for popular games from companies like EA. So I've turned to Ebay in many cases to get those thick manuals. I try to scan in and share what I can. I started a site called OldGameFiction.com that focuses on the backstory sections that are in (what I consider) the most in danger of being lost forever to FAQs and "command card" style text docs that miss all of the flavor and fun of the "Books of Lore" that came with RPG's, etc.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

robinsonmason wrote:I started a site called OldGameFiction.com that focuses on the backstory sections
Nice idea, very well done, just change the default joomla favicon with something else :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Spirantho
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Spirantho »

That is an excellent website! Easy to access, good information and presented well, nice work!

Now imagine a similar website with all the Vic-20 games!
--
Ian Gledhill
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

I don't know how I missed this thread, as lately I've been looking for Vic-20 documentation for games and hardware, and it's been difficult.

I was hoping there was something like Project 64 that has loads of game manuals (as well as hardware), but I couldn't find much.

I'll check the links mentioned in this thread.