football (soccer) manager for the vic

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

vic user
VicGyver

football (soccer) manager for the vic

Post by vic user »

I have wanted to get a copy of this.

Would love to find out more about it, or see some screen shots.

Here is one for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 8100816705

Chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It is text only, much like the ZX81, Spectrum or C64 version but without the in-game graphic animations. Quite boring after a while actually. It used to be on Funet, but is taken offline due to known reasons. I think there is some mirror on Internet, or otherwise I personally know someone who has a copy and could help you out.

I always found The Boss a better football manager game for the C64. It is written in Basic but slightly too large to fit even a maximum expanded VIC. I've considered trying to shorten it to fit into the VIC-20, but maybe writing something fresh from the beginning is a better idea.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I was expecting text only, but am sad to hear that it gets boring quick.

I am still working on bits and pieces of that beach soccer thing I want to do for the vic.

Chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

FM can be fun for a while, in particular in a version with animated graphics, but it has a very limited player market, simple strength formulas (the team with bigger numbers almost always wins) and anonymous opponents (you know the name of the team and their current team strengths, but nothing else).

In the early days, Kevin Toms enjoyed a lot of support from the players, in particular the ZX people, but personally I feel the game has aged a lot. Kevin was on his way with an 21th century updated PC version of FM, but I'm not sure if it is anywhere near releasing.

Despite being a fan of both VIC and football manager, I realize it is difficult to combine the two interests in a good way. Management games should have a lot of detail and variation, which often means big memory requirements.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I remember having this conversation with you before, and you are right about the memory requirements needed for a good management game.

I guess my beach soccer thing should not be called a management game, because there is not much management involved.

Chris