Is anyone able to "Digitise" a 5.25" Floppy t

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

gungahlin
Vic 20 Drifter

Is anyone able to "Digitise" a 5.25" Floppy t

Post by gungahlin »

Finally got myself a working VIC20 and for the first time in many many years I've been able to load programs I wrote close to 28 years ago from my old cassettes - only problem is whilst I can "refresh" the data to help preserve it, for another quarter century it will still be on legacy media (cassette or 5.25" floppy). :roll:

Would somebody with the appropriate hardware be kind enough to create a virtual disk/tape image if I upload the software to a 5.25" floppy and snail mailed it to them please? (I am in Australia)

Many thanks
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

It is possible to read in tapes via the sound card of a PC.

First they're recorded as WAV's. Then there are several programs around, which convert *.wav to *.tap format.

*.tap can be read in by VICE, and in turn you can collect your programs - within VICE - on a *.d64 file, the digital equivalent of a regular 5 1/4 inch disk.

For further details you might take a look at the 'Software we use for transfer' thread in the Emulators & Cross-developing section.

Greetings,

Michael
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

I'm from Austria, so maybe somebody who is nearer will be the better choice. But I would do the job for you.

I have the equipment to convert your disk to D64 image file.

---

You can do it by yourself also if you have an old PC with a LPT connector. You only need a XA-1541 cable.

You can make XA-1541 cable by yourself or buy it on ebay or NKC elektronic.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Try this guy: shane@cbm8bit.com

He's in Australia as well, in Queensland. He might have the means of copying a disk to D64 format, or he might know someone who does. Tell him saehn from Lemon64 sent you. ;-)
gungahlin
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by gungahlin »

Forgot to mention - my primary system is an Apple iMac.

Was thinking it would probably be a trivial task for someone with equipment like an uIEC, 1541-III, 1541 Ultimate, IEC-ATA, SD2IEC or MMC2IEC? (or have I misunderstood how these adaptors can be used?)
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

gungahlin wrote: Was thinking it would probably be a trivial task for someone with equipment like an uIEC, 1541-III, 1541 Ultimate, IEC-ATA, SD2IEC or MMC2IEC? (or have I misunderstood how these adaptors can be used?)
You've understood correctly - it is trivial. You just need to find someone reasonably close to do it.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Yeah... technically, you could send it to almost anyone active today, many of us have the means (even I could do it for you). But the closer, the better. Shipping is expensive and disks are sensitive.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Indeed. I can do it for example. But finding someone in Australia would be better.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
zap
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by zap »

If you send me copies i can image them easy enough and email you the images.

Where in Australia are you? we have an active small 8bit group here in Queensland, you would be welcome to drop around.

Shane.
http://search.cbm8bit.com Commodore 8bit Search!