Finally done scanning: Waterloo Structured Basic for VIC-20

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Finally done scanning: Waterloo Structured Basic for VIC-20

Post by eslapion »

Yes, I know, I took a long time.

Back in december 2007, I was able to get the manual for the Waterloo Structured Basic and it was mostly busy sitting on top of my scanner for the last 20 months.

But now, finally, I'm done scanning it.

I will offer to send it to Zimmers, anyone else who can post it online, feel free to contact me to get the Zip archive file.

All scans are monochrome 300dpi gif files.

Viewing it in Windows XP's preview looks real nice. Everything is perfectly readable.
Be normal.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Coolness. How would you feel about archiving a copy at DLH's Commodore Archive? The more VIC-20 content, the better.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

gklinger wrote:Coolness. How would you feel about archiving a copy at DLH's Commodore Archive? The more VIC-20 content, the better.
It may be a good idea to send it there but I immediately notice a problem with this archive: everything is in PDF.

Now PDF may be great for structured drawings and text with page layout as PDF is designed around the PostScript page description language but it totally sucks for bitmaps and color photos.

For the latter, it makes files that would normally be quite small absolutely huge and it completely eliminates the ability to recapture these images at another resolution.

Lets say you discover a smudge of a dirty spot on one of the page and you want to fix it with Photoshop or another image manipulation program... well, with PDF, you can't.

I want to publish what I did in a "fixable" format that is also compact. PDF is neither.
Be normal.
DLH
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DLH »

eslapion wrote:Lets say you discover a smudge of a dirty spot on one of the page and you want to fix it with Photoshop or another image manipulation program... well, with PDF, you can't.
Why not right click on the page and select 'EDIT' and open the page up in Photoshop and edit it?

Huge difference using the free reader and the full professional version. Like using paint versus Photoshop.

http://www.bombjack.org/torrent/editing-a-pdf.jpg

Anyway whatever you decide to release is better than nothing.

Thanks

DLH

(mod: oversized in-line image replaced by link)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

DLH wrote:Why not right click on the page and select 'EDIT' and open the page up in Photoshop and edit it?

Huge difference using the free reader and the full professional version. Like using paint versus Photoshop.
Correct me if I'm wrong but so far, my experience with opening PDFs in Photoshop says it will "rasterize" the content.

In doing so, Photoshop will ask you at what resolution you want to rasterize and this implies a scaling of the image that's in the PDF. Are you scaling the image up or down? No way to know...

The only way NOT to scale the images you are dealing with is to have a digital photo in the first place.

Now it is possible the pro version of Acrobat allows you to modify the digital photos without rescaling. I have never used that software before.
Be normal.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I much prefer source content in non PDF format.

This allows conversion to format of ones choice.

Thanks eslapion for your work on this preservation project.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

6502dude wrote:Thanks eslapion for your work on this preservation project.
You are most welcome.
Be normal.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Why not find somewhere to host the images and send them to DLH so he can make a PDF?

Depending on the size of the images, I might be able to host them. For actual use of a scanned book I prefer PDF, but it's always good to have the original images around.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

eslapion wrote:
DLH wrote:Why not right click on the page and select 'EDIT' and open the page up in Photoshop and edit it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far, my experience with opening PDFs in Photoshop says it will "rasterize" the content.

In doing so, Photoshop will ask you at what resolution you want to rasterize and this implies a scaling of the image that's in the PDF. Are you scaling the image up or down? No way to know...

The only way NOT to scale the images you are dealing with is to have a digital photo in the first place.

Now it is possible the pro version of Acrobat allows you to modify the digital photos without rescaling. I have never used that software before.
Yes, Acrobat Pro allows you to open the individual images fo editing in an extenal editor without resizing them. If you don't have Acrobat Pro you can always use ImageMagick to extract individual images from a pdf (and a host of other image manipulation tasks). It's a suite of command line programs but that shouldn't be a problem for any Commodore user ;-)

ImageMagick is released under a GPL compatible license so it's free both as in beer and as in speech.
Bacon
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
DLH
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DLH »

If anyone has these scans please email them to me or I can provide an ftp.

After all the hopla I am really curious to see them.

Oh well... back to my creating my pdf's with searchable OCR.

DLH
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Bacon wrote:...If you don't have Acrobat Pro you can always use ImageMagick to extract individual images from a pdf (and a host of other image manipulation tasks). It's a suite of command line programs but that shouldn't be a problem for any Commodore user ;-)

ImageMagick is released under a GPL compatible license so it's free both as in beer and as in speech.
Cool!
Be normal.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

* bump *

BTW, I am still at a loss as to how to send those huge files...

Anybody can make a suggestion or give a hand?
Be normal.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

eslapion wrote:* bump *

BTW, I am still at a loss as to how to send those huge files...

Anybody can make a suggestion or give a hand?
In Linux I'd use the split command to split them up into chunks small enough to mail. The receiver could then use cat to put them together again.

In Windows I think you can use WinZIP to make a zip file and at the same time split it up into smaller chunks.

Where are you going to send it?
Bacon
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

eslapion wrote:BTW, I am still at a loss as to how to send those huge files...
How do you mean? You want somewhere to host them or you're trying to figure out how to get them from point A to point B?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

gklinger wrote:
eslapion wrote:BTW, I am still at a loss as to how to send those huge files...
How do you mean? You want somewhere to host them or you're trying to figure out how to get them from point A to point B?
I mean I have those files and I would like to send them to DLH as well as to Bo Zimmerman but they are more than 10Mbytes and will not go through e-mail and when using Explorer to try and send them via FTP, this thing tells me the filename is unnaceptable...

So... I'm stuck!
Be normal.